Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What graphics card is missing from Mac Pro users?

• Low-end, like an ATI X1600

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
Need improvement.
What kind of card do you need for the Mac Pro to be kewl?

That should have read, "like ATI and nVidia 8800GTX."
Oops.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
for the work the majority of people will buy it for, they would much rather the 2 dual core chips than a $1000 GPU. Photoshop (for the most part) doesn't touch the GPU; its all RAM and CPU performance, which the Mac Pro excels in.

If they were to make a gaming machine with the stock GPU, then i would be saying they are stupid for putting that card in. But for the meantime, the GPUs in all of Apple's computers (including the MacBooks and Mac Minis) more than fulfills the needs of a vast majority of users.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
Since it is a Mac PRO, the minimum should be a 7600GT, but preferably something with a little more power, such as a 7900GS or 7900GT. The 7300 just doesn't cut it, but you definitely don't need SLI.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you want a gaming PC, I wouldn't buy a Mac Pro. I'd either buy from a different company, or build one myself.

Now, if I was using it for work, none of these cards would be a problem. If I wanted to buy this computer for work AND gaming, then it's still OK. In order for the Mac Pro to be inadequate for gaming, you'd need to find someone on the market for a computer as powerful as a Mac Pro, that also happens to play games. Now, that person also needs to play the most high-end games and INSISTS on playing with completely full settings, since the graphics cards available for Macs are already decent enough to run 99.9% of games quite well, although not from a bleeding edge point of view, where an extra 8 fps is worth paying an extra $300 for a better video card.

I think the Mac Pro line is fine. Another 2 cores would be a better option to offer.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I always felt the need to upgrade my graphics card in my mac, i have the ATI 1900 and its really nice for gaming but sometimes i feel i still need the extra power that is available in the pc market.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Since it is a Mac PRO, the minimum should be a 7600GT, but preferably something with a little more power, such as a 7900GS or 7900GT. The 7300 just doesn't cut it, but you definitely don't need SLI.

I agree, the 7600GT should be the standard card in the Mac Pro. I would like to see the 8800GTX offered as a BTO component though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.