so there i was...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jared1988, Feb 22, 2011.

1. jared1988 macrumors member

jared1988

...pissed off. why wont this play youtube, why is iphoto deleting all my photos, why do windows keep popping up when i click a folder instead of just 1 continuous window, why cant i delete these things off my external hdd, why is there a "skype" drive when i just downloaded it and why did the app disappear when i ejected said drive? why did i just spend $1700 on a headache?

24 hours last ive restarted my imac, youtube plays, figured out the beast called iphoto, windows open in 1 continuous folder, put skype in my applications folder, reformatted my external hdd, learned why the skype drive is there and deleted it, and most importantly, i was sitting there :)ing at a 27" screen of awesome

i do need help though, when i was initially setting my mac i put "japan" for the country instead of the "usa" (military stationed here in japan) so now i think that is affecting skype cause when i dial out it thinks my numbers are japanese.
    so, how do i fix my registration? i havnt sent it in yet but it wont let me go back to fix the county. any help would be great. thanks

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Open terminal and put in;
    sudo mv /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb.old

that should bring up the registration screens.

3. jared1988 thread starter macrumors member

jared1988

Jared-XXXXXXXX-iMac:~ Jared$ sudo mv /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb.old
    Password:
    mv: rename /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb to /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb.old: No such file or directory
    Jared-XXXXXXXX-iMac:~ Jared$

no dice, thanks for the fast response though

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A tip to help you get more responses:

How do I get help with a hardware or software problem?
    To edit your thread title, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where you can edit the thread title.

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

5. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You should be able to change your region in System Preferences.

6. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Ignorance. You haven't learned the basics of the OS yet.

7. dr Dunkel macrumors regular

It takes som getting used to, can be a bit hard when the brain is set to Windows logic :D

I had som trouble but most of it is sorted now. I only miss a proper "delete" button (on my MBP) and I wonder why on earth open windows aren't shown in the bar :rolleyes:

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...where in Japan are you?

Send me a PM, maybe I can assist?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. jared1988, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011

jared1988 thread starter macrumors member

jared1988

that fixed my skype. that was the main issue i was having, it was useing my mac location for dialing country codes. my registration still says japan and wount let me go back to change it though hmmm...

thanks, this wasnt exactly meant to reach out for help, more of an intro thread and if my issue was a quick simple fix that i didnt know about

thanks buddy, ive used PC all my life, i guess i should of just adapted to the new os immediately. but cause you didnt read the 2nd paragraph, ive got most my issues figured out now.

thanks, yeah that missing delete button is kind of a nuisance sometimes but im sure i will adapt

fussa japan, yokota. from your location it looks like your at yokosuka, where i purchsed my imac.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Yep...

I'm surprised the Yokota PX doesn't have an apple rep working there = they used to have a good apple selection up there before when I was stationed in NAF Atsugi...

This place is a great resource if you have general questions!

12. jared1988 thread starter macrumors member

jared1988

yeah i havnt even tried to ask them. not sure how knowledgeable they are, ive never asked though so i dont know. i went to to yokosuka thinking i might find a deal cause their mac section looks a lot bigger and better. nope, so me and the fam enjoyed a nice 2.5hr drive both ways and some delish McD's :) i got some friends at zama, and i just met a navy guy from atsugi, patrick. AZ# job i think

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...yeah, in a 4 wheeler that rides no fun... if I'm heading that way, I'm on my 2 wheeler (but that iMac would have looked funny bungied to the rear seat):D