So they DID want us to wait outside in lines.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pavelbure, Mar 11, 2011.

1. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

Here in Pa it was snowing and very cold. Waiting at the Best Buy, at 4:30 they handed out tickets. Which were all gone by the time he got to the end. We asked if we could move the line inside, because they had very little shopping activity there and it was cold and snowy. The Best Buy sales rep informed us that Apple wants the lines outside of the store until 5:00.

Least we were able to go back to our cars, just lose our place in line.

2. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about the snow. Here in cali everyone seems to be happy as a clam waiting outside
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxuvazsKc9o

3. fobia79 macrumors member

Monaca?

4. ehoui macrumors regular

At the risk of sounding like an Apple apologist, I don't understand why Apple would care? Could it be a "deferral of responsibility" of tactic?

5. pavelbure thread starter macrumors 6502a

Century III

6. leenak macrumors 68020

In Maryland, it was probably 50 degrees outside but the line was inside. I think your Best Buy just sucks.

7. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

When people who don't know the significance of today will drive by and see the huge line and then want an iPad.

8. Nighthawk70 macrumors newbie

I waited at BB and at 4:40 when they handed out vouchers, they allowed us to go inside and thaw out. They used part of the store by constructing a serpentine line. There we were able to wait until 5:00 to purchase. Sadly they didn't have any leather cover except the cream. I do feel bad as there must have been 70+ people in line. I got slip #4 of the 32gig wifi black and I saw the stack was real small. Sorry to hear that your BB manager made you outside after vouchers.

9. muu macrumors member

they wanted people to wait in line, and they didn't even have the products to cover demand. I was at first disappointed that they only had ~20 at my local bestbuy, then astonished that best buy / walmarts had at best 3-4 per store, with half the stores around my area getting none.

I wish I could say that I'm not going to bother with the ipad2 anymore, unfortunately the honeycomb competitors at this point seem to be no better than my now one-gen-old ipad1. will teach me to never bother with an apple product launch again, though.

10. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Just curious to all that waited - would you have ordered online if it was like the last iPad launch, where you could get it at your house the same day it was released in the store.

I have a feeling that Apple made a lot of enemies today in the hype-express.

11. ozred macrumors 6502

Soon Apple will follow you into the bathroom.

Won't _THAT_ be Festive ?

Apple, AKA Big Brother's there now with audio & video, you just don't know it.

Now you're using iPaper ;) LOL

How Revolutionary

12. shen macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have to call BS. Some dude at your store didn't want people inside or wanted to be a jerk, and blaming Apple was easier than admitting that.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The launch of the iPhone 4 gave customers the ability to pre-order and receive the day of launch (though, we actually received them the day before), and people still stood on lines all over the country.

14. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Why would you believe what some Best Buy drone says?

15. f1restarter macrumors regular

I think it just depends on the store manager. My town has two BestBuy stores and one had the line inside while the other had it outside.

16. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Yeh, just like the iPad 1 launch. There is noting wrong with waiting in line, so long as there is a reserve / same day at-home delivery option as well. If you want to go for 'the community' and whine about the current file system of OS X - be my guest.

However, this time it was different, where reservations and home-delivery were not done. The clear intent was to drive media hype and generate news images of long lines. Apple was once about a great user experience, now its about treating users like garbage to get more publicity. Absolutely disgusting.