So, this glass screen...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Caris, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Is it more trouble than it's worth?

I have been doing some searching on this forum and Google to find out about the keys hitting the screen when you close the lid and also getting dust behind it.

I'm starting to worry about whether i should take my Mac back and get a updated White model. I only have a few days to do so if i choose too.

So what have people got to say about these issues? Is this going to be a big problem or just affect a small bunch of people? I was thinking about the keys hitting the screen before i even read about it and I'm not going to start getting the glass replaced all the time because of a design flaw. Also i would get a Radtech Screensaver but I'm worried about that getting dust behind the screen...

Also has anyone got any pictures or guides about how to remove the glass yourself?

Caris.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i think apple's design team thought out that little issue before going into the laptop business.:rolleyes:

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP the keys have hit the screens of Apple notebooks since before they went to glass. However, it is my understanding the glass screen actually forgives this more because it is easily wiped off. Glass doesn't wear like the matte screens would. Plus for a few bucks you can get something to lay between the glass screen and the keys while the lid is shut.

likemyorbs, you are wrong. Sure they may have thought of this but it is still something that happens often. Therefore, thinking of it and actually executing a fix for it are two different things.

I use a radtech screen saverz cloth thing. You can also use the supplied microfiber cloth that comes standard with all Apple notebooks.

4. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

The keys on the unibody macs don't come anywhere near the glass screen as far as i can see..........

5. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Your correct. The keys are recessed down enough so they don't come in contact with the screen.

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea just return it. It's the biggest piece of junk ever. :rolleyes:

Do your keys even hit the screen!? It seems your worried about something that isnt even happening...

7. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

I honestly thing it's brilliant. I suppose it's just a matter of personal preference, but I don't notice any glare whatsoever on my machine. I use it in my office in a well lit atmosphere and I have zero glare. I'm not trying to cover up a problem, clearly some people have had major grievances with it, but I much prefer it to the previous matte screens I've had. :)

I'd say go for it!

8. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

Your saying that but I'm reading a few people starting to say something that i thought might happen. I never said it was junk it's just i can't be bothered with a load of trouble with dust and marks on/in the glass.

9. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

The dust that some people has (me, for one) was from production. If you don't have any dust now, you won't have any, at least that can't be cleaned.

10. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

Well, as far as I can see, mine don't touch the glass. I've never once had marks from the keys on my screen upon opening. Even if they did, it's really not that much work to wipe the screen off when you open it, I don't think a 15 second task makes something "more trouble than it's worth".

If you are really concerned about this happening, companies like ShaggyMac sell a screen protector that keeps the keyboard from touching the screen, like so.

11. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Furthermore, if the screen does touch the keypad, it's a design flaw and Apple should sort it for you. They certainly don't touch on my Macbook and if they did I'd take it back and ask Apple to sort it for me.

hacksaw

12. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I haven't noticed any trouble with my 2.4 unibody MB.

For what it's worth.

13. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

+1 -- Mine do touch the screen. I bought one of the ShaggyMac protectors and put in on the keys when I close the lid. Works perfectly and I have a cloth to use when some idiot touches the screen.

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Not true. If I look at my screen from a rather low angle, I can see the outlines of the keys on the glass.

15. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

If I look at mine they don't touch at all. There is a little lip on the edge screen that keeps it above the keys.

16. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Same here.......

And the keys could not mark the screen because the glass is far harder than the plastic of the keys...........

17. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I'm specifically talking about the natural grease that builds up on the keys or wrist pad from one's hands...

18. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Oh.............i see..........

19. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

the glare of the screen could get annoying, its all down to personal preference.

personally, I've used the glossy screen, the glare can be annoying in some situations, like in school when the windows are open and the stupid light gets everywhere the screen can get hard to see, and specially outdoors (but your going to get that with the matte too, its just not as bad as the glossy).

the worst situation, personally, with the glossy is watching movies from a distance. you have to get the angle perfect unless you get a weird reflection.

but again, its all down to personal preference, if you really don't like it then return it lol.

20. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

sorry for multiple post but, yeah i know where your coming from with that. the keys on the unibody are made from a different plastic or whatever than those on the white, i don't know if its just me but the unibody keys tend to get greasy far quicker than my white macbooks (infact my white macbooks keys don't even get greasy lol) again, its all down to how people use their machine, washing your hands will obviously reduce the grease (i wash my hands every 30 mins :p )

again i'm just talking from use in school, one of my friends has one, i don't personally use one so i can't talk about long term issues with it.

21. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Wash your damn hands..
    My keys dont come close to the screen. Do you guys get that much build up of grease and dirt that it hits your screen? I just dont get it.

22. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Doesn't mean it's not true. This happened on my old Lenovo and it happens on my Macbook. It's part of life. It's not like I'm sitting here is a BigMac in my hand nor do I have the Purell on my hands every 4 minutes as well.

My Macbook is constantly opened and closed, on and off of planes, and with me in various situations around the world that aren't always conducive to washing hands every time you are going to hit the keyboard. This is my use model and it means you get stuff on it.

23. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

24. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Hands washed or not, doesn't matter...the outlines still get there. They take time to build up, and are hard to notice looking head-on/with the backlight on.