So this happened....

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I woke up this morning and went to put my watch on and noticed a giant chunk of it missing out of the lower corner. I don’t remember smashing it against something or dropping it recently. It really sucks as I just got it last April and don’t really want to spend the $229 that Apple wants to replace the screen. I’m also mad at myself because I didn’t get apple care this time around for it. Now i face a decision pay the $229 to get a new screen or upgrade to the series 4. I know there is a jump in price obviously but would it be worth the upgrade from the series 3.

4456E054-1BE9-44C7-B292-6A370AF41FB9.jpeg

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I woke up this morning and went to put my watch on and noticed a giant chunk of it missing out of the lower corner. I don’t remember smashing it against something or dropping it recently. It really sucks as I just got it last April and don’t really want to spend the $229 that Apple wants to replace the screen. I’m also mad at myself because I didn’t get apple care this time around for it. Now i face a decision pay the $229 to get a new screen or upgrade to the series 4. I know there is a jump in price obviously but would it be worth the upgrade from the series 3.

View attachment 822437
That sucks man. Hopefully you bought it with a credit card with accidental damage protection.

Neo1975

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2015

View attachment 822437
100% worth the upgrade. Speed, screen size and better watch faces I would say are the top 3 reasons to upgrade.

Trodolak

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
Hilton Head, SC

View attachment 822437
If you can afford it, I think you’ll be very happy with the upgrade. Significant enhancements over the series 3.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Is it still usable? (As in..is the display still functional.) Other than the water resistance being compromised [OLED is very sensitive to water/moisture], perhaps still use it and trade it in/sell it ‘As is’ when the Series 5 likely debuts in the Fall. The Series 4 is a great watch, but if you think you can wait and utilize other options, perhaps upgrade in the Fall if possible.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Is it still usable? (As in..is the display still functional.) Other than the water resistance being compromised [OLED is very sensitive to water/moisture], perhaps still use it and trade it in/sell it ‘As is’ when the Series 5 likely debuts in the Fall. The Series 4 is a great watch, but if you think you can wait and utilize other options, perhaps upgrade in the Fall if possible.
I still works just fine but in my line of work I'm constantly near water and Im a little scared of wearing it. I think im going to wait a little while and see how long I can go before it gets messed up even worse and then upgrade to the series 4.