So...this happened.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Tulsa
For $75.00 this is what I picked up today:

I'm in shock, not even sure if I got everything pictured. The acrylic is 100% perfect on everything, no cracks or yellowing at all. Relative to this iMac, it came with the Pro Speakers, Pro keyboard, Pro mouse, and some very nice manuals. It also came with the manuals/wireless keyboard/install discs for the previous owner's replacement iMac (2010!). The owner also threw in a ton of accessories/paperwork for one of their classic Macs. Even some tech-related newspaper clippings from 2003! FWIW, I did not meet the original owner, I bought this from a nice lady who bought this entire setup at an estate sale where the elderly original owners lived, and decided she did not want this since it did not have WiFi. :) She paid $150 for this lot, I believe.

It's been several years since I've had one of these G4s. I've owned two in the past at different times, both were 17" 1.25GHz models - this appears to be an 800MHz.

I'll be adding AirPort Extreme and the max RAM, and I also have a 64GB SSD currently in my 12" PBG4 I could use, but last time I dissected one of these iMacs I think I had reassembly issues due to the delicate nature. Can anyone provide disassembly tips/tricks I should be aware of? Or any upgrade ideas I might be missing? I am almost too afraid to open it being that it is in such excellent condition. The plastic wrap is still on the chrome arm!

I'm so pumped. :D

Last edited:

z970mp

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2017
Digital Ocean
If you do open it, make sure the display cable is out of the screws' way, even if you have to tape it somewhere it will be safe. After reassembling mine one too many times, I believe one of the screws hit the display cable due to bad placement, and I haven't been able to get a picture out of it since.

Because of other sound / power issues, now it's just sitting on my floor awaiting a complete overhaul. Will be giving it a new LCD panel/display controller board, and it will be run by an SBC inside the base.

Hopefully it'll all work out...

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Tulsa
If you do open it, make sure the display cable is out of the screws' way, even if you have to tape it somewhere it will be safe. After reassembling mine one too many times, I believe one of the screws hit the display cable due to bad placement, and I haven't been able to get a picture out of it since.

Because of other sound / power issues, now it's just sitting on my floor awaiting a complete overhaul. Will be giving it a new LCD panel/display controller board, and it will be run by an SBC inside the base.

Hopefully it'll all work out...
Good to know! Thank you. Now that I know it's an 800MHz model I'm not 100% sure I want to go far enough to add the SSD. I was hoping for a USB 2 model but I'm still very happy with what I got. Other than maxing the RAM (it has 768MB out of 1GB) and adding AirPort Extreme I may leave it as is given its amazing condition.

I've wiped the original 80GB drive and installed Tiger for now. :) It's very snappy! Can't wait to get it online and at least throw some music on it to play out of the Pro speakers.

Reactions: z970mp

z970mp

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2017
Digital Ocean
Good to know! Thank you. Now that I know it's an 800MHz model I'm not 100% sure I want to go far enough to add the SSD. I was hoping for a USB 2 model but I'm still very happy with what I got. Other than maxing the RAM (it has 768MB out of 1GB) and adding AirPort Extreme I may leave it as is given its amazing condition.

I've wiped the original 80GB drive and installed Tiger for now. :) It's very snappy! Can't wait to get it online and at least throw some music on it to play out of the Pro speakers.
If that's the OG drive untouched after all the years, I'd leave it as is for now, especially if it's responsive. That won't have the usual problems of old drives with wear and tear, so you should be good with it for at least some time.

Otherwise, you're not specifically looking for an SSD (although they will certainly do if that's your easiest option), you're looking for something that can saturate the ATA/66 bus. If you've got them, 7200rpm IDE / 2.5" 7200rpm SATA drives + adapter will usually also fulfill this purpose nicely, if and when the OG eventually starts to go.

As someone with experience, I will say not to try installing a 3.5" SATA drive + adapter. It won't fit and you'll just end up damaging something.

Aside from all that, opening it for a drive replacement is a pretty straightforward process that shouldn't take you more than half an hour. Just be careful. ;)

Alex_K

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
Nice buy. You rarely find such a nice version of that keyboard. They are usually yellow-keyed by now.

I love the iMac G4s. My first ever Mac was the iMac G4 15inch. My second Mac - bought soon after - was an iMac G4 17inch, which I still have. Picked up a 20inch a couple of years ago too, for ridiculously cheap price.