So this is the future of MacBooks Steve?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harry20larry, Oct 26, 2010.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

The general consensus when Steve introduced the new MBA was that all future MacBooks will be heading in this direction.
    This concerns me about the MBP:
    1. Lack of hard drive, flash is better but capacity is still limited and it is super expensive. Do you think they will introduce some hybrid solution?
    2. Lack of disc drive, not really bothering me that much since I think I have used my disc drive about 2 times since I bought it 2 years ago. However, some users use it on a day to day basis. It would free up copious amounts of space though
    3. MacBook will become a super cheap 11" play thing, confusing the iPad/MacBook gap even more.
    4. Non user accessible ram, meaning Apple has complete control over how much they charge you

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As always, if a future MB/MBP/MBA model doesn't meet your requirements, don't buy one. Current models will be around for a long time; you can continue to buy those if they are more to your liking.

3. andrew086 macrumors regular

4. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

why would macbook pros turn into airs? they're two separate product lines marketed to two separate groups of people.

just because the air has those features doesn't mean MBPs will.. wtf.

if anything, the reverse would happen. as technology evolves it'll be possible to fit all the power of today's MBP into the body of an air. or likewise, the processing power of a hexacore mac pro could one day fit into a 15" macbook.

but the portable, pro-grade laptops like the MBP aren't going anywhere and will never be downgraded. they do need to lose the optibay though.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I disagree. I would NOT want to see the PRO line lose its DVD drive. While I don't use it every day, I do use mine frequently enough to warrant having it, rather than having to carry an external. Point is, worst case there should be an option to delete it, not a forced deletion - best case (IMHO) would be if Apple could implement an elegant solution to allow for hot-swappable drives, like Dell has had on the Latitude business laptops for many years. Not that Dell's solution is particularly elegant... an Apple spin on that system would be great, and could be a money-maker for Apple; Superdrives for those that want them, second hard drives/SSDs, an extra battery (not that it needs that, of course, but it could be an option), or just a weight/cost-saving "blank" of some sort.

Only problem I see is how to implement it and still have it look all nice and unibody-ish. :D But that's Apple's job, not mine.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I took it to mean that we shouldn't expect the white plastic MacBook to hang around for much longer.

I think there will be high end Pro models for those who need it for a good few years to come.

7. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I use my DVD drive to rip DVDs to my HD because I want to watch the films I paid for on my iPad and I hate DRM.

For this reason, and because films can be purchased from Apple's own online store for their profit, I see them removing the disk drive from all of their computers over time.

Oh, and if Apple ends up making their computers like iPads, I will stop buying them. The iPad is a fine gadget, but I wouldn't want my computer to be anything like an iOS device.

9. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

i actually use my disc drive semi-regularly, but i would still prefer a second HD or better cpu/gpu instead. reason being is that a disc drive is not something i find myself needing to use on the go, or on the spot, ever. it's something that can always wait till i get home; it's never urgent - but you know what would be? more battery.

i just can't think of a situation where having an external ODD would be that much of an inconvenience compared to having a built in one.. and actually, out of all the threads i've looked through on this topic so far, i can't even recall a single good argument for leaving the optibay in. just "i still use it" or "i want bluray"

why would an external one be so bad?

of course everyone has different needs, but discs are on the way out regardless. we will all adapt and be fine with it soon enough.

10. November macrumors regular

11. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I totally agree with you. However, I also don't see myself ever buying a Windows based laptop ever again for personal use. If anything, I'll continue to have Windows on my Mac via Bootcamp just incase the Mac OS becomes too much like an iOS device.

12. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

Or maybe they will become the MacBook Air Pro.

13. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I like the airs, someday hopefully they kill the MB and leave you the powerhouse (that is still light and battery conscious) MBP and then you have the 13" 11" and maybe even someday a 15" MBA that has 4GB standard and perhaps an i3 or low end i5 in the 15"

OMG imagine that. I would buy that asap

15" MBA 16xx x 14xx or higher screen
    Thin as current (MBA)
    256 - 512 SSD (prices will be down by then hopefully)
    GT 330m or higher
    10 hour battery
    backlit keyboard

14. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

That sounds cool and all but I don't think I will ever personally own a MBA. I like the MBP because it's size and weight gives me a sense of stability and reliability. I have headed to Houston Galleria during my lunch break the last two days playing with the new Air's but the ultra thin body creep me out. I hope Apple will keep the 15" MBP as that is what I plan on upgrading to in about two years. What I am worried about is if Steve decides to drop the optical drive from the entire notebook line they will ultimately shrink in size.

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

They could do something like the Mac Mini server, but in a MacBook Pro. It would be called MacBook Pro Server or something. They could get rid of the disc drive, add a dedicated GPU (in 13" models), and implement an i3 or i5 processor (also in the 13" models). They could also implement a MacBook Air styled SSD into the mix, but keep the spot for the HDD, for extra storage space. Or, they could get rid of the HDD all together, and enlarge the battery. I, however cannot picture them making the RAM non user-upgradeable. They do/should not have the right to do that for their "Pro" machines.

16. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

an iPad is a more logical choice, given the costs involved.

His talk of the latest MacBook Air was not logical. Peoples' frustrations don't seem to be unwarranted and the costs are not sufficiently low to sell, given the median wage for wage-earners in this country.

17. georgemann macrumors regular

georgemann

Seattle, Washington & Siem Reap, Cambodia
    Please don't give me a wedgie

Let's hope not, the wedge is just not a logical design choice for a pro-level computer. For a net-book that is attached to a big cloud OK, but not for a portable workstation.

I want an MBP with both a flash drive and an HDD. The disk drive can be external, no problem. Also I want a full set of ports, traveling with a suitcase full of dongles may be good for Apple's bottom line, but not for my sanity.

18. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I'll just switch to Linux, it'll be a pain but much less of a pain than having to use an iOS environment for all of my computing.