So this is what it was like before I got my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Agent-P, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Well, I finally broke down. After telling myself for the longest time that I wouldn't sell my iPad 2 just because of the iPad 3 rumours, I sold it on Craigslist. (As a kind of aside, the guy who bought it from me shouldn't be allowed to buy stuff from Craigslist. He didn't check the device or open the box or anything. Hypothetically, I could've scammed him so easily if I had known he would be like that).

But now that it's gone, I realise how much it had integrated into my day to day routine. I find myself instinctively looking for it in various situations I never was aware I used it in. It actually had a real place in my workflow. The iPad 3 can't come soon enough!

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Hope the iPad 3 comes out soon too! I'm prepared to be disappointed though. iOS 5 doesn't satisfy me... Even if it's used on amazing hardware.

But it sounds like you get by with it. That's cool for you I guess!

3. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Funny, mine just sold today, but I haven't mailed it out yet and I'm already missing it!

4. snow blind macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sold mine yesterday and caught myself looking for it on my couch... Ugh, hurry up Apple.

5. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

March 7th (if the rumours are true) can't come soon enough. That's when we'll know for sure when it's being released (again, if the rumours are true).

6. urkel macrumors 68030

I sold mine and thought I'd be crippled without it, but instead it only allowed me to appreciate the awesomeness of the 11" MBA. I dont miss the iPad at all, and instead I'm getting excited for that moment where Apple (and it's followers) finally give in to the idea of touchscreen laptops.

I'll definitely get an iPad 3 but I wouldnt necessary say I "need" one as long as I have my Macbook Air.

7. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Don't get me wrong. I don't actually need an iPad. I just didn't realise after I bought it how much I actually used it. But I am appreciating my phone and Mac a bit more now.

8. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I had the opposite reaction. Thought I could give up my iPad 1 for an 11" MBA. Tried it for a month and a half and missed the iPad like crazy. It's the combination of iPad-specific apps, form factor, weight, battery life and 3G connectivity that make the iPad so compelling. Picked up an iPad 2 last year and haven't looked back. The MBA has now been passed to better use by a family member, who's using a Mac for the first time since the early 90s and loves it.

9. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Best of luck to everyone who sold theirs! I don't know what I would do w out mine. I even take it out w me on daily errands which I never thought I would.

I just got mine so whenever the release if fine w me. Apple should let you 'rent' them. Lol I don't think they is a feasible idea at all (if someone argues w me) - I'm just saying it would be NICE.

To the op, if we find out later it won't be for another 3 months, would you buy old iPad 1 in the meantime? Or someone else bought diff brand of notepad and can then return in 90 days.

10. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You know, I've sort of thought about that and I'm not sure what I'd do then. Haha I guess I'll cross that bridge if I get to it.

11. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Agent-P I did the same and have found out the same. I had the chance to sell my iPad2 for the price I wanted about 10 days ago and I regret it.

I had no idea how much it was my preferred go-to device. I will NOT be doing that again in the future.

Either way, I will be waiting. It's not that big of a deal and not something I have to have by any means. It's certainly something if given a choice would chose first over any other device.

12. falcora macrumors 6502

My mom is buying my iPad 1, but she's willing to wait until after the iPad 3 comes out.

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Lots of posts like this lately. I had the same experience. It's good to sell it now, because resell prices on these things are plunging more and more with every rumor.

Once I decided I was going to sell mine, I decided I would just do it now and get it over with. I have never been more miserable. I miss it so bad--it's been gone for 3 weeks.

Just look at it this way--it will be that much sweeter when you get the new one.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Funny thread. Sold my ipad2 a week ago, it's been a different experience not having it around. Last year I held onto my ipad1 through launch and eventually sold it; figured I'd try it the other way around this time. It's certainly a convenience but not a necessity at this point. I'll definitely buy something in March.

I figure the first big sign will come on/around Feb 29th when Apple does or does not invite the press to a media event.

15. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm thinking after the iPad 3 I'll stick with that and not have to upgrade next year, but who knows what awesome features will be available by then.

Looks like you lucked out there. You won't be iPad-less like the rest of us :)

You're right. When I finally do get the new one then it'll be great. I really like that Apple devices hold there value so well. I bet if I had sold my iPad a week earlier, I probably could've gotten $50 more for it, but I'm not complaining since I still got a good deal for it.

Personally I'm hoping Apple gives a two week notice rather than one on this event because then we'll see invitations sooner ;)

16. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

This is the same old ****** story. So hyped up about the new release that you sell your ipad before hand and go a month without it. If it is so important sell it after you get the ipad 3.

17. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

It's not that important to my workflow. I was just commenting on the fact that I realise I used it more than I thought. I knew I would be without it for a bit and I sold it knowing that. It was a choice I (along with many people) made because we'll get more by selling it now as opposed to after the iPad 3 release. It's the same for people who sell their iPhones or Macs before a new release.

18. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I thought about selling mine, but I use it too much. I'll buy the iPad 3, and hold onto the iPad 2 for a few months until all the used ones filter through. People are getting more for the iPad 1 now than when I sold mine a couple weeks after I got the iPad 2. Don't really need the cash immediately, so I'll wait for the value to go back up.

I don't want to risk Apple delaying the announcement and having to buy another iPad to wait for the 3. So I'm keeping this one until I have the new one in my hands at least.

19. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

20. Agent-P, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012

Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I honestly don't know. I've never sold an Apple device after the launch of the successor. But I would think there shouldn't be too much of a drop because upon quickly checking eBay's completed listings, the first iPad (WiFi model, 16gb) is still selling for over $300 and this is 2 years later with the iPad 3 around the corner.

Attached Files:

21. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Good luck. Is that your CL posting?

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Last year Apple cut prices of ipad1's by $100 and did similar on the pricing of the refurbs the day they announced the ipad2. This created a further shift in the prices on the used market, as did all the resellers clearancing ipad1s.

Add that shift to the effect of the announcement on used prices, and I expect a larger shift.

It also depends on whether you're talking 16GB Wifi units vs 64GB 3G units. The latter will tend to see a larger price delta than the former (in absolute terms).

23. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Yes it was until my iPad sold this week (managed to get $400 because they buyer didn't care about paying the extra $2 lol). But I kept screenshots of it just in case.

24. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Good thinking! Congrats that was decent price to sell it for ;)

25. matrixhacker macrumors newbie

$400??

I sold my iPad 1 16GB Wi-Fi, last week in the UK, for £270 on ebay, which is apparently $428. You guys are selling your iPad 2's cheaply!