Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I just read about this mandatory update for older iPhones and iPads, and if not updated by midnight November 3 functions like email and GPS will no longer work.

In the notes, Apple refers to the iPad 2; is this the same thing as the iPad Air 2 or are they completely different models? I have an Air 2 that I haven’t updated in years due to app incompatibility and concern about slowness, so I’m trying to avoid an update unless it’s doomsday if I don’t.

Klatti

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Germany
I just read about this mandatory update for older iPhones and iPads, and if not updated by midnight November 3 functions like email and GPS will no longer work.

In the notes, Apple refers to the iPad 2; is this the same thing as the iPad Air 2 or are they completely different models? I have an Air 2 that I haven’t updated in years due to app incompatibility and concern about slowness, so I’m trying to avoid an update unless it’s doomsday if I don’t.

No, the iPad Air 2 is not part of that needed update.

Reactions: boltjames

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Don't worry, you're all good! :)

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014

No, it affects only older iPads from 2011 and 2012.

It affects:

iPhone 4s
iPhone 5 (NOT the 5c, 5s or SE)

iPad 2 CDMA Cellular
iPad 3 Cellular
iPad 4 Cellular
iPad mini 1 Cellular

You can find this information in the Apple Support Article.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
No, the iPad Air 2 is not part of that needed update.

Don't worry, you're all good! :)

Thanks! Much appreciated.

No, it affects only older iPads from 2011 and 2012.

It affects:

iPhone 4s
iPhone 5 (NOT the 5c, 5s or SE)

iPad 2 CDMA Cellular
iPad 3 Cellular
iPad 4 Cellular
iPad mini 1 Cellular

You can find this information in the Apple Support Article.

Thanks!

The Support Article doesn’t list specific model numbers and is very ambiguous. Thus the reason for the post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.