So to have FACETIME, you need to have...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mytakeontech, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Text plan enabled on your line? That's what I found out today. Apple forum!

I never use text message, especially since I had unlimited data plan and iPhone. I had put a block on my messaging option on my line.

I did not like this thing at all. If this is how it is then my rant next...

Even though I don't use text messages, some ppl keep on sending me messages and I keep on giving 20 cents or more to ATT per message for no reason!

I am not cheap person but my principle is why do I have to pay for MMS/SMS when I have unlimited data plan.

Can someone please confirm whether this is true? :cool:

2. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

I think it is true because when I called 1-888-FACETIME she asked me if I had it before we started.

3. mytakeontech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your response. I know they are not forcing you to add $5 monthly minimum text plan and it's pay per use but these 20 cents here and there from millions of iPhone users is gonna give free money to ATT.

Well played ATT! I know a lot of ppl will say that 80-90% ppl always have some kind of text plan and don't be so cheap etc. etc. but this is how corporations do not leave any way to fill their coffers. :mad:

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

This is 100% incorrect. You don't even need an active cell connection to initiate a FaceTime call.

5. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

It may be incorrect but she definitely did ask if my phone can receive text messages as part of the list of things to "make sure FaceTime is possible" before we began.

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

Well if you tried a Face Time call, log in to your AT&T usage and see what it says.

7. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

No, you don't need a messaging plan. No, you will not be charged to use Facetime.

8. mytakeontech thread starter macrumors 6502a

You guys are completely missing my point here.

I KNOW that...

FaceTime is absolutely free.

What I said is, to have FaceTime working you need to have text plan enabled on your line. It has nothing to do with text plan as such but just to have facetime working you need to have text plan. Also, now since the text plan is enabled now, sometime you get some random text message from ppl and you really don't care about those and you have to pay for those incoming text messages for no reason. That's what my complaint was!

I have had SMS/MMS blocked on my line for almost more than a year now.

9. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I don't know why you would need texting enabled on your account. I do understand what you are saying - having it enabled doesn't mean you are paying for a plan. It just let's you pay per use and yes, for incoming texts that you have no control over.

10. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

honestly...wtf does sms/mms have to do with facetime?

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

My guess is that some data is sent over the SMS protocol in order to assist in switching the call from regular cellular voice to Face Time.

This would fit with my knowledge that you don't need a cell connection at all if you initiate the Face Time call directly without doing a regular call first.

12. jhuang macrumors member

Hey guys, I tried 1-888-FaceTime today and the rep told me I needed texting enabled. My text was previously restricted, and so the rep told me to call AT&T and get it enabled just for a little. He said in order to enable FaceTime, I had to turn on FaceTime in the settings, which would in turn send a text message to Apple, and then I could restrict text again after that.

After I switched the button to on, it said "Waiting for activation," so I assumed it was trying to send a text and wasn't receiving a reply back or something like that. I enabled text and rebooted my phone, it no longer said it was waiting and FaceTime then worked. I called back AT&T and restricted my text again and it was fine.. though I haven't tried FaceTime since then.

I hope this clears things up!

13. mytakeontech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup! that was perfect. That's what I wanted to do myself, tomorrow!

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

That's crap. Nowhere was that mentioned in the presentation. Granted, I have texting enabled, but it's unfair for people who got it disabled.

15. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

same feeling.. i have text but for those of you who dont I would follow the advice to just block after facetime is active.. good luck

16. nowstime macrumors regular

Hi!

I just enabled my text feature (had it restricted) and now FACETIME is activated.

Do I need to keep enabling my texting option (pay as you go for me) to continuously use FACETIME? or since its activated can I restrict it again?

17. Briview macrumors regular

Oy... don't know how it'll work out for me since I've cancelled AT&T and kept the i4, waiting for the T-Mobile unlock and going to continue phone usage from there... since I'm not a frequent caller.. to a pay-as-you-go plan. Hmmm... guess I'll just have to wait and see.

18. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

You're not charged for incoming texts unless you read them.

19. MACis122 macrumors regular

i doubt thats true

20. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I worked for AT&T for 4 years. That's 100% false. If you get a text message, even if you don't look at it. Your charged. It's how it is for every cell company. Sorry

21. admanimal macrumors 68040

The question is whether the SMS capabilities are necessary for activating FaceTime or actually using it. Specifically it might need to use the SMS bits for transferring the call from voice to FaceTime. I know it doesn't need it if you start a FaceTime call directly without doing voice first, however.

22. H.B.I.C macrumors member

How does that work?

23. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Not true. When my phone was activated, texting wasn't activated for some reason, thus effecting FaceTime not being able to work. So, I called AT&T, and they put texting back, and voila! FaceTime worked for me.

24. admanimal macrumors 68040

If you start the call as voice first and then switch to FaceTime, then yes you obviously need a cell connection and apparently SMS enabled.

However, the phone will also recognize facetime://(phone number) URLs and in that case will directly start a FaceTime call without using the cell network. You can put your phone in Airplane Mode with WiFi enabled to verify this.

EDIT: I think once you have FaceTimed with someone and they show up as a FaceTime call in your recent call list, using that to re-FaceTime them will also avoid the cell network. Haven't verified that though.

25. H.B.I.C macrumors member

when I turn airplane mode on then wifi on and go to facetime:// 10 digit phone number it gives me the option to facetime then the screen goes black.