Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK
...and I couldn't have been happier with what I saw.

Figured I'd share my experience with you all. I know these threads are ten a penny but someone may find it useful.

On launch day I managed to pre-order a 42mm Sport with White band. At the time I didn't really care too much about the look of the watch, I just wanted to get one within my budget. I've always been a fan of white Apple products and so that's what I went with. Thankfully I was lucky to get the 24/4 8/5 shipping date.

As the week has gone on however I have started to get a bit worried about the whole thing, I'm not a rich man and while I have been saving for the watch since the announcement was made last year, it's still a huge chunk of money to hand over, especially seeing as the GF and I have been saving for a holiday and home improvements. So yesterday I decided to book an appointment at my nearest Apple store (which is Bath, Southgate UK) seeing as we were heading there for a genius appointment anyway.

I arrived at 12.45 and my appointment was 1pm. Like many other MR users I was alarmed to find very few people around the Watch display case, but I did notice that in the Bath store they had A LOT of demo units spread around the whole circumference of the store and it was generally these units that people were playing with.

I grabbed the nearest employee and told them I was due for my appointment. Straight away they took me to the display table, laid out with the soft matts and a unit linked to an iPad showing off the features.

I was told that I could choose three combos to try. Sadly they did not have a 42mm Sport in silver to try so I chose a Space Grey 42mm with black sport band. A SS with classic leather loop and a 38mm Silver Sport with white sport band.

The first I tried was the Space Grey Sport with black sport band and I immediately fell in love. So much so that I almost regretted ordering what I did now, as I found the totally black setup, sporty and yet classy, something that I could wear for any occasion. People are 100% right about the sports band, until you see and feel them in person they look like they'll be cheap, but they're definitely not. Incredibly comfortable and soft to touch.

The guy got me to run through the demo which basically runs through a few apps and shows off the Taptic Engine, which feels weird. I kind of expected the iPhone vibration but on the wrist but it actually feels like someone tapping a pencil on your wrist. It doesn't feel like it'll get irritating over time. The watch was very light and when I let me arm go limp to the side, I pretty much couldn't recognise it being there. The display cannot be believed until seen. It's like the Retina revolution all over again.

We then moved onto the SS with classic leather band. I don't know why and I guess it comes down to personal preference but the SS to me looks cheap. The chrome finish just doesn't do it for me. I didn't notice any discernible weight difference either. The leather buckle strap was also very thin and it actually looked like under pressure it could tear or snap (if you got it caught on something).

Lastly we tried the setup closest to my pre-order. A 38mm silver sport with white sport band. The first thing I thought was that the 42mm was definitely the right choice for me. The 38mm was way to small for my liking and any touching of the screen for interacting just felt clumsy. I'm a very skinny guy but even on my wrist it just looked weird (I don't know my measurements). Some people have said the silver sport looks cheap but I don't agree, it carries itself well but doesn't look as classy as the space grey version.

The one last thing I noted about the hardware was the digital crown. To be honest I thought it was going to suck and feared it'd be overly sensitive or too resistive, but it's glorious. It works almost like a trackpad in that you slide your finger over the top of it and it smoothly adjusts the display with the right amount of inertia.

The software: By this point the appointment was running into the 30 minute mark (the guy didn't seem overly busy and just wanted to keep talking about it) nevertheless he took us to one of the display units and had it communicate via digital touch with another of the demo units so we could see how it worked. I sent my heartbeat and a few drawings to my GF and vice versa. Cute and cool but I think until these things become widespread pretty useless (unless they integrate the animations into iMessage) .

The other apps were to be as expected. If I'm honest, it was a little clumsy to use, I kept zooming into apps to load them, only to realise the home screen was centred on an entirely different app. In the photos and maps apps the digital crown did make it easy to zoom in to where I wanted to be but occasionally went a bit too far. Although I did say it was great and easy to use, I do think the watch is going to require some practice and muscle memory to get it right every time. At no point did the interface ever lag, it was all very fluid and data loaded quickly.

Verdict/My decision: Will I keep my pre-order active? Yes. Do I regret my style choice? A little.

I kinda wish I'd chosen space grey with a black sport band to begin with now, mainly because in that config it looks stylish and understated when worn and I could easily wear it for any occasion without feeling a little self conscious. BUT in the past I've always worn white plastic watches, they suit the style of clothing I wear and I like something with a bit more pop and fun which I think the silver with white will do, plus it'll match my iPhone 6 I guess. One thing I regret not doing is asking to see the silver with a black sport band, just to see how that might work out as a combo. Either way I don't think I'll ever feel like I'm missing out buying the sport, after all it's a £340 watch, which is a big step up from the £20 ones I pick up from Argos!

I know I'm banging on about the sport bands a lot but apart from the milanese loop (which for me just seemed too feminine) and the link bracelet (which is too expensive for me) they actually look more grown up and premium than the other offerings in my opinion. I know that seems mad, but if you haven't seen these things in person it's kinda hard to explain. As for the regret over not having the money for the SS, I'm actually pleased it worked out that way. It just doesn't look as good as I thought it would...if anything it's too bling. The aluminium is way more understated.

-----------------

Anyway that's all from me. If you're waiting for your pre-order and you live close to an Apple Store I strongly suggest you go and see the watch in person before you let your order arrive. The pictures just don't do them justice and as I discovered the combos can be deceiving, I had no interest in the space grey sport and now I really want one. They truly are magical devices, and while I don't have the calendar and contacts of an apple exec to keep the notifications pouring in, I think I'm going to love using this.

Here is a picture of me wearing the 38mm sport:

f3gqkz.jpg

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Lastly we tried the setup closest to my pre-order. A 38mm silver sport with white sport band. The first thing I thought was that the 42mm was definitely the right choice for me. The 38mm was way to small for my liking

It's really curious how you get such a different impression from the picture. Looks fantastic on you, in my opinion at least!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
It's really curious how you get such a different impression from the picture. Looks fantastic on you, in my opinion at least!

I'm not sure if you've tried them on, but I was shocked at how they look in pictures vs reality! I took a picture at my try on appointment of the 38mm and it looked sort of about right, but the 42mm looked a lot better proportioned in real life.

It's a very strange optical illusion indeed.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK

Actually in the picture it looks ok, but I'd just taken off a 42mm and it felt like I was switching from a piece of tech to a toy. I guess that's why I'm imploring people go and try on first. It may ruin the magic of opening the box on arrival day but unless you've bought one of each, you'll never know what you might be missing.

However I guess when it comes down to it, those that want it on launch day have to pretty much stick to their decisions. If I had the patience I'd cancel for a Space Grey right now.

One thing you can do is grab a ruler and look at 38mm diagonally on your wrist. Tiny.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Interesting. One of these days I may have to make an appointment in the Store to finally be able to judge for myself. :)

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Actually in the picture it looks ok, but I'd just taken off a 42mm and it felt like I was switching from a piece of tech to a toy. I guess that's why I'm imploring people go and try on first. It may ruin the magic of opening the box on arrival day but unless you've bought one of each, you'll never know what you might be missing.

However I guess when it comes down to it, those that want it on launch day have to pretty much stick to their decisions. If I had the patience I'd cancel for a Space Grey right now.

One thing you can do is grab a ruler and look at 38mm diagonally on your wrist. Tiny.

Great review. I've had two try in appointments now, just want my watch to be here! :)

One quick correction, the 38 / 42 sizes are measured in height on the Apple Watch, not diagonally.

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Great write-up, thank you. It's also a great shot of the Sport that you posted-- I can't get over how different it looks in the real-life photos compared to the renderings on the Apple site! I'm hoping it will look even better in real life.

JerryCooke

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
Bath, UK
So yesterday I decided to book an appointment at my nearest Apple store (which is Bath, Southgate UK)

Nice to see another Bath person!

The first I tried was the Space Grey Sport with black sport band and I immediately fell in love. So much so that I almost regretted ordering what I did now, as I found the totally black setup, sporty and yet classy, something that I could wear for any occasion.

I had a similar reaction to the SG model, I was definitely taken by it's looks (plus, y'know, it was the only 42mm sport they had, so I didn't have much choice), but I'm sticking with my silver sport, because I think it'll go with a wider range of bands. Plenty of options either way you go though, I figure.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Great review. I've had two try in appointments now, just want my watch to be here! :)

One quick correction, the 38 / 42 sizes are measured in height on the Apple Watch, not diagonally.

Interesting. Thought it would have been old school measuring :)

Great write-up, thank you. It's also a great shot of the Sport that you posted-- I can't get over how different it looks in the real-life photos compared to the renderings on the Apple site! I'm hoping it will look even better in real life.

Yeah you can stare at the photos all day and feel your opinions swing but in person you know that it's a premium product.

However the Edition models, I took one look at them and thought there is no way I'd ever pay £10k for one.

In fact I kinda think they may have dropped the ball a bit there. I remember when the first gold 5S came out, people were fighting over it and it was very desirable to the average joe. Even though it cost the same, people seemed to think it was some how more privileged and superior.

For those not in the know about the watch (i.e. the lay people who don't watch keynotes/read press releases) I can imagine they'll wander in, look at an edition and enquire about the price. I can imagine they'll think the Apple employee is joking when they're told and then when it's confirmed their response will likely be **** off! It could potentially damaging to Apple's reputation amongst some groups of people.

I kinda feel this is the first time Apple has segregated customers by restricting products to certain social classes.

rhyme

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
I'm not sure if you've tried them on, but I was shocked at how they look in pictures vs reality! I took a picture at my try on appointment of the 38mm and it looked sort of about right, but the 42mm looked a lot better proportioned in real life.

It's a very strange optical illusion indeed.

I find it strange how many people are saying this. I tried them on the first day, and to me, they look just the same in real life as in pictures. I went with a 38mm.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008

That picture is an extreme close-up. You'd never hold Watch that close to your face. Compensating for how Watch looked in-person vs. the pictures I took of myself wearing it, I can tell that the 38mm is extremely small on OP.

sam223

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Fuuny how all pics with the 38mm looks perfect on the wrist, when in person it looks so small and feels cheap and like a child's toy.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
I was surprised at how small even the 42mm felt in person, the 38mm seemed teeny tiny, even on my wife's wrists.i was also surprised at how thin the Milanese loop was, but I thought it felt great.

johnnygilligan

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Utica, NY
Verdict/My decision: Will I keep my pre-order active? Yes. Do I regret my style choice? A little.

I've ordered the same silver sport watch with white band and also ordered the black sport band. I think the silver aluminum body / black sport band combo looks better than the SG body / black sport band.

I also took a good look at the Milanese band alongside the silver aluminum body and this didn't look good to me. There is an obvious visual difference in these two materials and they didn't look good together (shiny stainless Milanese band and matte silver aluminum finish).

If I were to choose a non-sport band for the silver aluminum sport it would be either black or blue leather loop.

Thanks for sharing your try on experience and I hope you'll be enjoying your watch on the 24th!

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
I've not heard the SS looking cheap before; heard the opposite actually. Is it that bad? Should I cancel my order :/ I have ordered the Space Grey too and they're both coming Friday but I've already sold that on eBay

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I've not heard the SS looking cheap before; heard the opposite actually. Is it that bad? Should I cancel my order :/ I have ordered the Space Grey too and they're both coming Friday but I've already sold that on eBay

No I wouldn't be so rash. I didn't like it but I think most people prefer it over the aluminium. I just personally don't think a chrome like shine is very attractive but I won't dispute the build quality which was excellent.

I'm sure you'll love it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.