All iPads So torn between iPad 5 and (possible) retina mini.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yegon, Sep 17, 2013.

  1. yegon, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

    yegon macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2007
    #1
    Currently have an iPad 3 and a mini. I'm selling both. I enjoy using my iPad 3 far, far more for obvious display quality reasons and the simple fact everything is bigger. More ram helps too.

    Flipside, the mini is so much more practical, slipping so easily as it does into a coat pocket. I take my Mini to work (the lions share of its usage, I travel a lot for work) or anywhere I want entertainment when I leave the house. At home I use the iPad 3 exclusively, the Mini never gets a look in. I use a MBA and a desktop for anything productivity related.

    But the other (3rd?!) flip side - my last two iPad purchases (3 & Mini) have essentially been old tech given new life or compromised in some way - I've got nothing but good things to say about my 3, it's been a champ and only very recently have I felt it slowing down, but there's no denying it was compromised power wise. Part of me wants the best cpu/gpu/ram combo this time around, and that's certain to be confined to the iPad 5.

    I have toyed with the idea of getting a base cellular retina mini for travel purposes and an iPad 5 for at home. Ideally I want one iPad though, for sync reasons - iCloud syncing between games isn't nearly as prevalent as I'd like - and managing content generally. Keeping my current mini isn't my preferred option either, I personally want away from the lower res screen completely.

    Decadent, first problem problem I know, but in my defense I work hard and am debt free.
     
  2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    #2
    Then get a loan and get iPad 5, mini retina, iphone 5S, haswell macbook:rolleyes:
     
  3. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #3
    Wait a month and take a closeup look at each in an Apple store. Seeing the new mini screen might help. You'll have to compromise if you want just one ipad - power or portability. If you get both - that's okay, if you can afford it, but buy some Apple stock at the same time.:eek:
     
  4. yegon, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

    yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2007
    #4
    Loans pfft. Post uni - this is 15 years ago - I declared bankruptcy for idiot spending and generally being an complete ass with money. These days, I've got a repaired credit rating, an extremely manageable mortgage (a debt admittedly) and plenty of savings.

    I spend money on what I enjoy, hence my absolute **** heap car that gets me to work, gym and short trips. Much rather spend money on things I enjoy - gadgets and a couple of nice holidays a year. I have got something of a rep at work for having an army of gadgets, and my response is always the same - "What car do you drive?", the answer typically being a ridiculously priced 4x4 that rarely leaves a supermarket car park and is a £400/m drain on their resources! No thanks :)
     
  5. marcovortex macrumors member

    marcovortex

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #5
    Same issue..

    I was in the exact same spot. Ipad mini retina and ipad 5 both sound amazing. Assuming both come out and look great screen/spec wise.. I have saved myself a lot of worry and stress (ha!) with this plan..

    Ipad 5 (64 or 128gb)
    Ipad mini 2 retina (16g)

    Then I can enjoy both and by keeping the mini at 16g/wifi only ..it's cheap enough that it's not a big deal to have as well.

    Thought I would share.. That's what I came up with.
     
  6. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2007
    #6
    Don't suggest that, I'll end up buying both :)

    That said, I am tempted to order both and test em out for comparisons sake. Knowing me, I'd end up keeping them both then.

    If I did do this, I'd make separate orders for each - as we all know, multiple items on a single order at launch can occasionally cause a teeth gnashing delay!
     
  7. Akack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    Location:
    USA
    #7
    I'm in same boat as you, currently own the ipad 3. Looks like portability is an important factor for you so would get the mini 2 if it gets the retina display.

    This decision will be easy if the mini 2 does not get the retina treatment, will get the ipad 5. I bought a mini and used for about a week before returning since that display on the mini was awful IMO. I'm just too spoiled by the crispness/clarity of the retina screens.

    Now if the mini gets retina, will probably just get the mini bc it will cost less than the full sized ipad.
     
  8. zipa macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2010
    #8
    Well, I have an iPad 2 and can't think of a single reason to upgrade it, so it's a no brainer for me, I'm getting a mini.
     
  9. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Location:
    LA
    #9
    My dream combo would be an iPad 5 and a Note II/III sized iPhone. I just sold my iPad 4 and will upgrade to the 5 as soon as it's available. For now I plan on holding off on the retina Mini in hopes Apple will introduce (long shot) a competitor to the Samsung Note series phablet by next year. If that happens my iPhone 5S will be up for sale.
     

Share This Page