So torn!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matchu, Mar 3, 2016.

  1. matchu macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2011
    #1
    My Early 2011 13" is slowly dying. I know I want a Macbook, and I just don't know if I should grab a great open box deal on a 1.2 ghz (1099) or wait to see what/if they announce an update this month.

    Any suggestions?
     
  2. profmatt macrumors 65816

    profmatt

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2015
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    Personally, I'd wait.

    I was disappointed by the MacBook. It's very small, and felt very delicate. It's a thing of beauty and a miracle of engineering, but it wasn't for me.

    As your current MacBook isn't actually dead, and it's not too long to wait, I'd wait.
     
  3. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #3
    Barely over two weeks away to find out what they announce. I would just wait.
     
  4. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

    Eggtastic

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    NJ
    #4
    It sucks to wait, but that is what I am doing. If you wait and decide the upgrades are not worth the price, then I am sure you can find some sort of deal on the 1st gen.

    I however have time on my side as my 11" 2011 MBA is working, but I want something new with retina. Also, hoping I can fetch a few hundred for this to put towards the new purchase (battery life is abysmal so it will be a tough sell). If you mac is truly on its last legs, still try to sell it for parts on CL and use the money towards a new or open box deal.
     
  5. Bigredhunk macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2015
    #5
    I'd wait too. It would blow to buy one now and have something better come out (or even be announced) soon. Granted, the $300 off at BB is tempting (esp when combined with a 10% off mover's coupon, or even a $50 off student coupon). But I'm sure that price will be back in the not too distant future, with or without new offerings from Apple.

    I have no idea how much you can get for your current laptop (if you want to sell it to defray the cost of a new one). I didn't want the hassle of a possible return (or any other problem) via selling it on Ebay or Craigslist, so last July I traded in my mid-2011 11" MBA 4 GB Ram/128 GB SSD (with a ton of charge cycles on it) on Amazon for $336. It had the box and all the accessories. I'm pretty sure whomever handled the trade-in on Amazon (various companies?) then listed it for close to $600. Judging by what people said on these forums, I probably could've sold it for $500 or just a bit more. But Ebay would've pocked $50 of that, and I'm terrified of selling online (again, returns and whatnot). I took less, but it was a breeze.
     
  6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #6
    Have you tried the macbook? If the current generation fills all of your needs, I would jump all over the $300 off plus the movers coupon.
     
  7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #7
    Well the prices of the current model surely isn't going up after the new one is announced.. Should be an easy decision.
     
  8. Dave245 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #8
    I would wait, altho there are no rumours that Apple will announce an update to the Macbook at the March event, Apple only brought it out last year. On the other hand they may choose to announce it at this event as a quick mention/update. The iPad and iPhone SE are expected to be the key features of the event tho.
     
  9. infernoguy macrumors regular

    infernoguy

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2011
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #9
    I would get it and utilize the 14 day return period. I bought one this past week and since I'm Best Buy Reward Elite member, I have 30 days to return it in case Apple upgrades it.
     
  10. OneMike macrumors 601

    OneMike

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    #10
    I was actually somewhat considering buying this computer as a spare. I held one in the past and messed around with the mouse and such. Never typed on one till today. Did not like the keyboard at all so couldn't see myself ever purchasing one. That aside, it's a decent machine.
     
  11. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

    OCDMacGeek

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2007
    #11
    I'm in the same position. I really want one but am wondering about when the update will come out. In the past, has Apple ever updated MacBooks at an event that is mainly for iPhone and iPad updates? Off hand I can't recall one.
     
  12. Max(IT) Suspended

    Max(IT)

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    Location:
    Italy
    #12
    I don't think we'll see a refresh in March ... June is more probable for SkyLake
     
  13. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

    happyslayer

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    Location:
    Glendale, AZ
    #13
    I love my MacBook 12. It's the best Apple laptop ever in my opinion (and I've owned a white MacBook, 3 different Airs and a 13" Pro) but this close to the possible announcement, I might wait. However, for the money with a few places selling the Macbook for $300 off of retail (B&H and Best Buy, I think) it is a very good deal. If cost is more important buy now. If potentially newer tech matters to you, wait a couple weeks.
     
  14. ks987 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    #14
    I'm also in the same boat... I'm looking at the 512 GB as I need the space for my work, and I see the BB deal for $300 off and if I can get a 10% coupon, this would be a pretty good deal. On the other hand, I'm curious what the 2nd gen MB would look like, as this one-port thing seems rather annoying, as I need a hub for external display, power, and USB/SD card slots... I'm not even sure there are any hubs that have all those rolled into one
     
  15. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

    OCDMacGeek

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2007
    #15
    I didn't wait and just purchased it and got the $300 Best Buy deal. I'm totally speculating but I think the new MacBook will be announced in June, because it may be the flagship product to show off Thunderbolt 3, and this month wouldn't be the right event to do that. They'd show that off along with OS X 10.12 in June. We'll see! If there is an update this month I could return it.
     
  16. tdbrown75 macrumors member

    tdbrown75

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2015
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #16
    I took the leap as well, and I am completely thrilled with the Macbook. The "under spec'd" thing is overblown, if you use the machine as intended. I typically use Mail, Safari (with lots of tabs), Photos and iTunes.

    All open super fast and no lag whatsoever when surfing, listening to music/videos or navigating the OS. Acts just like my maxed out 2015 iMac 5k for these tasks.

    There's little to no chance I'll return it when the new one is released. A mild spec bump will do nothing to improve the experience for me, and if the price drops it won't drop $300.

    Tim
     
  17. Dave245 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #17
    Congrats on your new Macbook :D i'm still considering getting one to accompany my iPad Pro, I've not had chance to use one in store tho so I'm waiting until the new ones are announced. As a writer i think the Macbook might be a great little laptop to carry around. While i love my iPad Pro and it is brilliant for reading and writing on PDF documents, watching iTunes content and general web browsing i do really love a laptop and i think both the iPad Pro and Macbook would be great together.
     
  18. infernoguy macrumors regular

    infernoguy

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2011
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #18
    This!
     
  19. ks987 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    #19
    Have you ever tried to return a MB at BestBuy? is the process pretty seamless? I'm thinking about getting the MB with the $300 off but want the chance to return it if somehow the keyboard/etc isn't for me
     
  20. infernoguy macrumors regular

    infernoguy

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2011
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #20
    Very easy... Just bring the box, power cables, etc. and they will test the device to make sure it's working and that's it.
     
  21. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    #21
    I bought the 12" the day it was offered, exchanging it for my 2014 11" MBA and I haven't regretted it one moment. I have the 1.2 with the big SSD and the performance is the same as the 11," but with a much better screen.

    As far as it being fragile it isn't. I carry it all over the world and use it at least 3 hours a day. The battery has had 123 cycles (measured by Coconut app) and charges to about 93% of designed capacity after a year.

    The only problem I had was getting a crumb under one of the keys (left shift) and it wouldn't depress until I scraped it out.

    However, I would wait to after the Apple show coming up, because if there is an update I would rather have that one than the current model (assuming I was buying new). Besides which if there isn't any updates the MB will still be available.
     

Share This Page