Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
jhu said:
i don't know about windows xp, but i think 2000 could execute 32-bit x86 programs due to emulation. i think intel wrote an emulation layer. additionally, the original itanium had an x86 execution mode so they could run windows directly. i don't know about the current itanium2.

Windows 2000 is a 32-bit only operating system, so it could obviously run 32-bit programs, but not through emulation. Maybe you're thinking 16-bit?

I misspoke, as it was the Itanium2 I was referring to.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
greatdevourer said:
As said, when I last checked, which was at least a year ago

Ah, it must have still been in beta or something then. It was released last April to manufacturers.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
belvdr said:
Windows 2000 is a 32-bit only operating system, so it could obviously run 32-bit programs, but not through emulation. Maybe you're thinking 16-bit?

I misspoke, as it was the Itanium2 I was referring to.

this was in regards to windows xp64 on itanium. windows has been 64-bit since 2000 on the itanium. on itanium, the x86 programs usually run through software emulation because the hardware emulation layer has even poorer performance even on the itanium2

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Intels floating point is all 64 bit

Mitthrawnuruodo said:
So unless you need to do mathematical operations on longs, then you really don't need 64 bit.

I'm pretty sure the floating point units in Intel chips do thier work on 64 bit floating point data. Internally they are much wider than 64. Well, at least this is how it's been since the days of the 386. Notice that the MMX stuff operates on eight 8-bit integers and uses the FP registers.

Intel chips like to Xeon are only "psuedo 64 bits" in the a t processor can access more RAM but user level process run in 32bit addressspce.

From a C programmers point of view on the current Xeon the sizeof() a pointer is 32.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
ChrisA said:
I'm pretty sure the floating point units in Intel chips do thier work on 64 bit floating point data. Internally they are much wider than 64. Well, at least this is how it's been since the days of the 386. Notice that the MMX stuff operates on eight 8-bit integers and uses the FP registers.

actually, it's 80-bit floating point.

Intel chips like to Xeon are only "psuedo 64 bits" in the a t processor can access more RAM but user level process run in 32bit addressspce.

that's only true for chips using pae. xeons that support emt64 are true 64-bit processors.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
i say...

ibooks go intel this april/may..

new powermacs with intel proc's at wwdc..

...and mac mini goes intel in late august just in time for back to school

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
CubaTBird said:
i say...

ibooks go intel this april/may..

new powermacs with intel proc's at wwdc..

...and mac mini goes intel in late august just in time for back to school

I disagree... i think the mini will go intel at the same time as the ibook (they are likely to use the same processor - the single core yonah) while the powermac will stay with the G5 for a while and be the last to switch. Reasons being that 1) the dual core G5s (and especially the quad) are still extraordinarily good machines, probably as good or better than anything that intel can do yet, and 2) pro users/powermac owners probably don't want to deal with a lot of rosetta emulation, so the powermacs won't go intel until almost everything is universal

kzg

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
Canada
Pae

Well the chip may not have 64-bit instructions. But the core duo supports the PAE (Physical Address Extension) so we are not limited to 4GB of RAM but 32GB because PAE gives you 36-bit addressing.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
QCassidy352 said:
I disagree... i think the mini will go intel at the same time as the ibook (they are likely to use the same processor - the single core yonah) while the powermac will stay with the G5 for a while and be the last to switch. Reasons being that 1) the dual core G5s (and especially the quad) are still extraordinarily good machines, probably as good or better than anything that intel can do yet, and 2) pro users/powermac owners probably don't want to deal with a lot of rosetta emulation, so the powermacs won't go intel until almost everything is universal
I agree with everything you said and would add the following:

Since the PMs had a recent revision, Apple could be sitting on some inventory for some time. They'll want to clear out as much as possible.

The desktop line is the most profitable for Apple, so they'll want to save something for the Q4/Q1 financials, such as the Intel model.

Add on the aforementioned problem of not having a chip for it yet :) and I think we'll see the PMs dead last, just before the end of the calendar year (so Steve can keep his word).

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
kzg said:
Well the chip may not have 64-bit instructions. But the core duo supports the PAE (Physical Address Extension) so we are not limited to 4GB of RAM but 32GB because PAE gives you 36-bit addressing.

except no one really uses pae

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.