So uh. My Magsafe was smoking.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spree, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Spree macrumors newbie

Soooo. Here I am with a three-months-out-of-warranty Macbook, and my adapter's just gone brick.

The connection between the cord and the Magsafe connector has pulled apart, and the wires look all frayed to hell. It shorted out, blew smoke, and died--it doesn't seem to work any more, and I'd be afraid of burning my house down even if it did.

I really don't want to churn out the disgusting $80 for a new adapter, or even the $40-50 for one on ebay. Can I repair it somehow? Is there any third party adapter I can use, or frankly any cheap alternative?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If I'm not mistaken, Apple recalled those adapters, and should replace it even though it's out of warranty. If you live near an Apple Store, it's always better to go to the Genius Bar instead of calling Apple's tech support. If you can't make it to an Apple Store, just call Apple...

3. Spree thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I saw that article but it didn't click until just now. I found a provider ten minutes from my house, so I'm gonna see if I can get down there now.