So...umm...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Jun 7, 2011.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

So….ummm…

- Apple split up the iPod app into 2 separate apps (music and video)? Why? What’s the point? The iPod app worked just fine and even, gasp, saved space on my phone by merging 2 apps into 1.

- Apple now uses the LED flash on calls and alert? Why? The flash is on the BACK of my phone…you know, when I lay it down on the counter FACEUP to keep the screen from scratching, um, now my flash is completely covered so it negates the point of this feature. Brilliant

- How do iMessages work when I’m wanting to contact my gf who also has an iphone? Is there a separate message app apart from the text message app to use? How does the phone/user differentiate between an iMessage or Text Message? If the iMessage and Text Message apps are one-in-the-same, do the messages all merge together (say I text her and at first she replies via iphone text msg, then later she replies via ipad imessage…do they all thread together in one app?)

- Apple, yeah, it would have been nice if you could have allowed me to remove apps I do NOT want on my phone (stocks, youtube, voice memos, notes, compass…oh, and your butt UGLY new app…To Do’s…really, who designed your apps??? “milk eggs bread”??? blood is dripping out my ears because this ridiculousness.)

- Otherwise, remarkable updates. I’m very excited about Lion and I now find myself in the position of, should I buy an iPad as my only computer or an 11” MBA?

2. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Regarding the last question, I'd definitely buy a Sandy Bridge MBA if you're in need of a primary computer. The iPad is a supplement but it's not a replacement for what a "PC" can do.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

This was a pointless move. I'd like to hear Apple's reasoning to doing this.

I always laughed when people were clamoring for the LED flash to notify for messages and calls. Now that it's here I forsee people complaining about scratched screen because the keep the screen down to see the flash.

Everything is in one app. Texts are the normal green and iMessages are blue. I think it tries to send an iMessage and if it can't it sends a text but I really don't know.

What's even more ridiculous is the newsstand app can't be put in a folder and put out of place with the other worthless apps that take up space on every iPhone.

I was very happy to see that Lion would only be $30. Me and my two roommates have Macs so I think we'll get a lot of use out of Airdrop since we're constantly transferring files between computers with usb drives.

4. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

My guess would be that Apple is clearing the way to do video/movie/TV rental on the iphone. This will require separate deals and distinct function from the music app (for example, I doubt you'll be able to 'keep' the movie), so splitting them up makes sense.

Because the phone doesn't have a dedicated notification LED built onto the chassis. Its either use the flash that is already there or don't have the feature at all.

It depends on how Apple implements it, but it will probably be a separate application like Blackberry Messenger or Google Talk, using data services to transfer messages back and forth.

This is a problem with ALL smartphones except for the Google Nexus phones (which let you do almost whatever you want with them).

This is a no-brainer. No tablet will ever replace a full on computer unless all you ever do is browse the web and watch videos.

5. Jcoz, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

Jcoz macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure the flash alert was for disabled people, I dont know why the hell other people would chose that as an option. Was their other option to use the flash on the front of the camera?

I saw screen shots that show the text and imessage as a combined app, not separate. With color differentiating the source of the message within the same conversation with a contact.

Can't verify the voracity of the picture though.

See post 31

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1164879&page=2

6. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I don't get the new "Music" app either. I really dont. Why not just keep it like it was.

7. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

1. I didnt like it at first, but it actually makes sense. An iPod is hardware, not software.

2. I never got why people wanted this in the first place. Keep in mind that you activate this under the "Accessibility" settings, so it may be useful for the aurally impared.

3. iMessages in part of the Messaging app on the iPhone. The empty box before you type you message says "text message" in light grey now, I assume this changes to iMessage when it sends an iMessage, but I dont have anyone I know on iOS 5.

4. The Reminders app is actually quite useful. Now I can add one-off reminders much more easily than the days when I would have to add it to my calendars.

5. This all comes down to what you need to do with it.

8. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

ahh, very cool. thank you so much for the link!

9. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I can therefore confirm that you can tell the difference between an iMessage and a SMS before you send them.

[​IMG]

Notice that on the Left it says "Text Message" and the Send button is green, while on the right it says "iMessage" and the Send button is blue.

10. Jcoz macrumors 6502

No problem.

11. seajay96 macrumors 6502

To the best of my knowledge, iCloud does not support videos, so Apple had to split the videos out of the music library.

12. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

very nice, you all are so helpful!

something that came to mind with the flash for calls/alerts...i wonder how long the flash stays on or continues blinking. that LED flash is a battery hog and what if i leave my phone on the counter adn that LED flash just constantly stays "on"....whoops, there goes da battery! :rolleyes:

13. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Exactly. But I guess its for disabled people then , I mean it doesn't make sense otherwise. To answer your question about a 11 inch Air or an iPad as a COMPUTER, i'd say get the Air. Its the complete package...

I still dont see iPad as a "Computer", but maybe its me...

14. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i'm feeling ya man. i love the simplicity in design of the ipad, but man, i'd be kicking myself when i tried to actually do some really basic computing and found out how hard (or impossible) it would be on an ipad.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If apps will be syncing than the iPhone, iPod, and iPad all need to agree on how they are gonna do music and videos.

Right now ALL 3 have their own unique way of doing it.

They had to pick one and it looks like they picked the iPod Touch way of doing it.

16. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Thats very true. Sure, you could do some email on an iPad and webbrowsing but real computing? Im not sure yet...

17. elan123 macrumors 6502

Great thread title...

18. bina12834 macrumors regular

maybe the LED flash is more for the iphone 5? maybe we'll see something on the front since it doesnt make sense to use the back LED camera flash.

19. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

I keep so few videos on my iPhone now, it doesn't really matter to me...I'll just drop that app into my "apps I don't use but can't delete" folder.

But I think the big key here is that they wanted to get rid of the iPod logo. Since the iPod Classic has all but died out, that particular image doesn't mean anything anymore.

20. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

lol, yeah, i was at a loss of words in the heat of the moment. too much pressure i suppose.

21. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i'm the opposite. i have a 32 iPhone4 and put 26 movies on my phone and only 130 songs. i find using a shuffle/nano is much better than an iphone/touch for music playback.

22. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Now that might be true, but why call it "Music" sincs its video and podcasts and much more? Thats what baffles me about it , but whatever , if the app still works then everything is fine - haha.

23. onesweetearl macrumors member

The LED flash is definitely for the Deaf and hearing impaired. Us hearing people have two different cues to alert us that we have a call/text; one auditory and one sensory. Up until now the Deaf only had the vibration to alert them, now if there phone is across thenroom they'll also have a visual cue. It's all about spreading the love around.

24. transam7816 macrumors regular

LED Flash

"Accessibility
    iOS 5 comes with innovative new features that make it easier for people with mobility, hearing, vision, and cognitive disabilities to get the most from their iOS devices. iOS 5 works with specialized hardware accessories. The LED flash and custom vibration settings let you see and feel when someone’s calling. And improvements to VoiceOver include custom element labeling. These are just a few of the ways iOS 5 continues making advances in the field of accessibility."

25. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

lol - i guess this clears it up for everyone , then.