so ummm, 1 gig laptop video cards?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Emrtr4, May 3, 2007.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

Ummm, Asus will be releasing new laptops with an 8600 M graphics chip (Nvidia) that has 1 gig, you heard me right, 1 gig of video ram.Guess what, it is in a 15.4 inch laptop. Can someone please tell me why when the majority of the movie industry and designers use apple, and apple laptops, why we cannot get UP TO DATE graphics cards. I mean, imagine how much easier creating textures would be with a mobile graphics card like that.

Damn you apple, I cant live without OSX, but your graphics cards are a joke.

2. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Since when did movie people and designers need a video card? When they're playing WoW?

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Heat?

These laptops are thin? :eek:

Sorry that was just an excuse.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Bugatti just released a car with 6 wheels. Damn you Toyota for not delivering up to date drive trains...

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

And how much power does that mobility card draw? There's an obvious trade off for the smaller form factor and real world battery life.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

some trucks have 18!

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Your comment captured my first thoughts when reading the thread title.

Must be used to drive a huge external display?

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

OK, I'm imagining, and the answer is: none. That is, having 1GB VRAM will increase the ease of making textures by precisely 0%.

--Eric

9. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Even if the macbook pro had half that video ram it would bring it into the fold, but i would rather 256/512MB @ 1200 MHz than 1024 MB @ 400MHz any day a Geforce Go 8600 would be a sweet upgrade form the low end X1600 we have now would finally give apple decent mobile preformance inline with the rest of its specs.