Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stev74uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Ok so I wanted a Mac Pro 17” for a really long time but the £2600 did put me off. Never the less I took the plunge and purchase one 10days.

And OMG all I have been doing is spending hours and hours on the sodding net trying to get things up and working correctly.

List of issues
1. External screen setting change when apple goes to sleep
2. Wireless Network card slows down really badly then correct its self for no reason (not internet provide as I checked.
3. Mail – some time is collect my Hotmail then other times it does not (get inbox stuff but not junk mail)
4. Face time – some times it works but most times it does not.
5. Finder – program can not be quit always running

Us English are reserved bunch of people at the best of times. But I must say that I am really upset that I have spent so much money on some thing that I really wanted and not it does not work correctly.

Called the apple support a few times and they are left scratching their heads the poor chaps; not their fault the are trying to help.

Ok people thanks for the time today…my apologies in advance for the little rant this morning

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
2. Wireless Network card slows down really badly then correct its self for no reason (not internet provide as I checked.
3. Mail – some time is collect my Hotmail then other times it does not (get inbox stuff but not junk mail)
5. Finder – program can not be quit always running

For #5 this is normal behavior. The rest are a little unusual, but you haven't provided enough details for anyone to actually help you here.

stev74uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Yes you are correct, I was a bit lacking in the info department

List of issues
a. The view shrinks on the external monitor; but if I unplug it and plug it back in it corrects. (lots of unplugging goes on at my gaff lol)
2. Wireless Network card slows down really badly then correct its self for no reason (not internet provide as I checked.)
a. Well I go from 54mb connection down to 29mb then it falls down to 1mb; leave it for a few hours then its back up to 54mb again. I have a pc and check connect is fine. Network card doing some strange stuff
a. No much I can say as its so random; it just does not collect any of my junk mail from my Hotmail account.
a. All setting are correct; it just does not work

Many thanks for support chap.

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
a. The view shrinks on the external monitor; but if I unplug it and plug it back in it corrects. (lots of unplugging goes on at my gaff lol)
sounds like a lot of fun.
2. Wireless Network card slows down really badly then correct its self for no reason (not internet provide as I checked.)
a. Well I go from 54mb connection down to 29mb then it falls down to 1mb; leave it for a few hours then its back up to 54mb again. I have a pc and check connect is fine. Network card doing some strange stuff
Sounds like a bad setting or bad network card.
do you have any other devices using the same apple id I know this doesnt help much but I noticed strange things when I had multiple device on facetime using the same id. I would try and answer on my mac first fail then my ipad fail finally my iphone and it would answer normally which ever device was the last I tried it would answer on that.

stev74uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Hold on to your hats Gents, I just installed the beta “messenger” program by Apple and now face time works…lol wtf

I’m happy but slightly worried…

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
a. No much I can say as its so random; it just does not collect any of my junk mail from my Hotmail account.

Are you really suggesting this is a bad thing?

stev74uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Yes I see your point.. but unfortunately a bit of my junk mail is rather important; consequently this is were the problem lies.

To be honest the apple “mail” is really only a nice to have and not a must because Hotmail account is still functional. Just would have been a real treat to get “mail” working. Never the less thinks are looking better as “facetime” is now working.

Down side GF has be informed and she calls all the time via facetime now (what ever was I thinking) lol

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Give Stev a break. She's bought a premium computer and expects it to work at a premium rate. I'd suggest calling up the AppleCare line and getting them to fix it all.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If you feel that there are some unusual problems with your computer, you can get a clean start by clean installing OS X.

LINK

Just make sure you use Disk Utility (in Recovery HD) to wipe your primary HD.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Yes I see your point.. but unfortunately a bit of my junk mail is rather important; consequently this is were the problem lies.

To be honest the apple “mail” is really only a nice to have and not a must because Hotmail account is still functional. Just would have been a real treat to get “mail” working. Never the less thinks are looking better as “facetime” is now working.

Down side GF has be informed and she calls all the time via facetime now (what ever was I thinking) lol

Junk does not push by default. Try messing with the setting on hotmail web side.

stev74uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
I'm kind of thinking you both might be correct on a fresh install. I follow the link w00t951 gave me and it looks straight forward ish.

Many thanks again for the info and support people:)

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
Hey Stev, I think I may recognize your issue with the Wifi. I switched to another ISP a few months ago and move to another place at the same time, after this move, my wifi started behaving very weird on my laptop. Drops from my ~80Mbit down to 0.70Mbit at times and sometimes even no working wifi at all. The solution I found for me was to use the web interface for the Router (usually 192.168.0.1) log in and go to Wireless Settings, in there i changed both bandwidth from 20MHz to 40MHz and also I changed the control channel.

This solved everything, I think the issue was that the router frequences were disturbed by other flats wireless connections. Its worth a shot anyhow. Worth mentioning is that the Cabled connection worked perfectly, this only affected my Wifi.

mattkidd

macrumors regular
The problems that you are explaining sound as though they are in no fault of the Mac itself.

1. The external monitor will adjust a few times especially if your connecting via HDMI or anything as the machine attempts to select the best resolution and settings for optimal quality

2. It's very unlikely to be a problem with the wireless card inside the MacBook and more than likely to be an issue with you router, look into the wireless settings on the router itself

3. Hotmail and Windows live mail are awful especially in regards of POP and IMAP that's not Mails fault that's simply the awful email provider

Sign up to gmail iCloud or something and forward your emails to your new account

4. It's likely you haven't setup your Apple ID correctly or again there's an underlining issue with your network setup

5. Finder is suppose to remain running its the process responsible for your file directories it's like telling windows to operate without explorer

A fresh install is unecessary especially if it's a new machine, your just wasting time and potentially causing yourself more frustration.

Try some of those suggestions and chill, you have to make adapations for the best and give it time, you'll soon see its worth the perseverance it does take some getting use to but it's worth it!

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
If you've only just bought it take it back and moan - get a replacement and try that from scratch.

You've bought a premium piece of technology so if its behaviour is odd then try another.

WiFi issues are always the routers fault though, unless your Mac cannot find any connections.. Switch channels and frequencies until you get one to suit because if it is affecting this mac, then a replacement will produce the same results.

As with hotmail it can be temperamental but Junk will only come through Mail if you haven't 'junked' it in hotmail. If you deem some of it important then you need to log in to hotmail on the web and change the settings so it filters to your inbox. - This is the only folder Mail syncs with so if your hotmail isn't filtering there, Mail won't see it either. Issue solved.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Yes you are correct, I was a bit lacking in the info department

List of issues

Many thanks for support chap.

#2 - you are mirroring the display. You need to turn that off and use extended display. This is in system preferences>display

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
If you've only just bought it take it back and moan - get a replacement and try that from scratch.

You've bought a premium piece of technology so if its behaviour is odd then try another.

Or, god forbid, learn how to troubleshoot and fix that technology. Tell us, would you have him get a third machine if the second one didn't work?

Call Apple support would be another option, it came with it, use it.

stev74uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Wise point Ccrew, and I see your view... but I have spent many hours on the net, in fact 17hrs in total and 2hrs on the phone to apple. (this is a long time I feel)

The problems are simple but unfortunately not simplistic to solve; these problems are not uncommon as I found out via my search on the net, but the solutions are a bit hit and miss. And many i have tied.

The shame is not in the support that I'm getting from the people at Apple or this Forum. The pain in fact comes from paying premium price and expecting premium operation only to find ones expectations undermined by simple but rather frustrating and time consuming small issues.

Never the less, lessons have be learnt

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
Well just because you pay more for a high quality computer doesnt change the fact that a new unfamiliar OS needs some getting used to and it also doesnt change the fact that everyone needs to make some changes to make the OS look and behave like we want it to, alot of people have different agendas, so their settings will vary, having to sort some of those is not the same as it being flawed.
Youve received 8 negative reviews on your post, and I believe its because you seem to expect things from this Macbook that you wouldnt expect if you bought a windows notebook for the same price.

A little patience and willingness to learn and sort things is required if you switch to a completely new system. If you werent prepared for that you probably shouldnt have changed.

Nevertheless, I understand its frustrating when you can get things to work like you want. But to be perfectly frank, on your initial list of issues Im not sure any of them were due to a lack of quality in your premium product, and several of them not because of the product at all, but due to another product or just a setting.

Also feel free to report back with your finding on the solutions that have been offered, or if you find solutions on your own. :)

stev74uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Thanks for the info...the apple chaps are still working on things as it kind of has their knowledge and experience pushed to limits at moment.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
The shame is not in the support that I'm getting from the people at Apple or this Forum. The pain in fact comes from paying premium price and expecting premium operation only to find ones expectations undermined by simple but rather frustrating and time consuming small issues.

Never the less, lessons have be learnt

Oh, I'm with you 100% on this one. That's why I suggested banging on Apple support to supply the support you paid for. Hey, they well call for a machine replacement but then it's cut and dry and they handle it all.

stev74uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Update :- the chaps at apple want me to bring it in; they are going to do put on a new system. If that does not bring things right looks like it might be a new one.

Steady progress, good sign:)

Many thanks to all feed back and support...greatly appreciated when your close to the edge lol

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Or, god forbid, learn how to troubleshoot and fix that technology. Tell us, would you have him get a third machine if the second one didn't work?

Call Apple support would be another option, it came with it, use it.

I know how to troubleshoot but what's the point in trying to fix something that should work out of the box? I have given hotmail/router guidance which obviously isn't a 'returnable' issue..

Think people have become to accustomed to 'accepting that's how it is'. I.e. dead pixels etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.