All iPads So, upshot of Tim Cook's analyst call

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Internaut, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Internaut macrumors 6502a

No new iPad until autumn. Seems a reasonable enough business decision while they can still shift iPad 4s and first gen Minis (not to mention the 4 is fully competitive with the likes of the Nexus 10). I think a lighter, smaller device than the 4, while still retaining the 10" screen (if the speculation turns out to be true) would be more tempting to me than a Retina based Mini. Only problem is, I'd have to buy two!

----------

Apologies - probably more appropriate to post this into the existing thread (iPad 5 in April). Mods please feel free to move.

2. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

A $329 retina mini would hurt Apple's profits (and stocks) even more. And let's not forget it hurts the full size Ipad as well. Plus how many ipads become obsolete when Apple releases a new model? Would a skinny body on the Ipad 5 make an Ipad 3/4 or mini obsolete?
    Apple does to good of a job making these things last and the market is saturated. We need a new product category. Not another yearly revision.

3. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very much agreed, but what to bring the to market? I can't for the life of me why I'd want a watch (I prefer automatics, so this had better be something special) and TVs are now so commoditised, I don't see the Apple markup working.

I still see the possibility they might buy someone like Sony, giving them TVs, game consoles and cameras (Sony make the best sensors - a marriage of of their cameras and iOS might work). I don't however think Apple management would relish the thought of turning a company like Sony around.