So very lost!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevenfarrisohi, Mar 11, 2008.

1. stevenfarrisohi macrumors newbie

I remember when I first came to this site when I decided to switch to MAC. I thought what is wrong with these people? Why can't they make up their minds? Now after a visit to an Apple store I am so confused. :confused: I orginally wanted a MBP and to use my three year old Dell XPS desktop as my main PC. Now that I love LEOPARD - I am thinking - Geez, maybe I should go with an iMac? or a MAC Pro? I wish I had the $$$ for all three! I am working toward my MBA and then my doctorate. So 60% of the time, it is for Office App's and then web-browsing, and creating video's.

So lost!!!!! Does anyone use a MBP for a desktop too? Can you close the notebook without it going to sleep?

Thanks for understanding. A kid in a candy shop! :eek:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

MBP make good desktops too. By a nice 20" or larger monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse (to save you from plugging and unplugging) and you will have the best of both worlds.

3. f1 macrumors 6502

pshhh i use a Macbook as my only computer so a MBP hells yes!

4. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

mbp makes an excellent desktop, even better with a good external monitor. But honestly, i dont use my external that often. os x is just incredibly efficient with screen real estate, so the 15" screen is better than a 17" pc IMO. you cant close the computer and prevent sleep, unless you get insomniax, but it is unadvisable. why would you want to close it and keep it awake? might as well keep it open? also it's great for a student because you can pick it up and go make a presentation or work away from home when you need to.

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

My MBP is my one and only computer. I have an ACD to plug it into and use it constantly. A MBP is all you need :)

6. DENZIE macrumors member

DENZIE

If an external monitor, keyboard and mouse are plugged in it will not sleep when the lid is closed

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yes it will. Behavious is occasionally unpredictable for sure but it nominally will.

Personally I don't think the MBP has the legs or the resilience to be used as an everyday computer without much babying and some compromises. An iMac is not necessarily better in terms of performance but it is a more convenient base than doing the cable fandango with the MBP on a regular basis (note to Apple: actually Pro machines have docking ports).

Pro is a decent domestic machine. While it's not as upgradable as it would seem it's not a bad choice overall. I would also propose that you look at the current XPS desktops - which are very decent as well.