So Walmart brought it... Why should we go there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSahand, Dec 26, 2008.

1. TheSahand macrumors member

any possibility that the activation fee will be waived?
    there must be SOME advantage

I spoke to someone at Costco's Headquarters on the phone (in seattle) and they said that they are to bring to the iPhone after the first of the year, but they have no idea when

but anyway,
    the advantage of buying from costco is that there is no activation fee (We are planning to buy 5 iPhones for a whole family, so this adds up to good savings)
    But if Wal-mart waives their activation fee, I'll walk in today and buy them
    anyone have any idea when Costco will bring it?
    or what the deal with walmart is

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

It's been "confirmed" walmart is going to start selling the iPhone on December 28th, this Sunday.
    They have given no information as to why you should buy it there, other than the $2 "discount."
    We have heard nothing about Cost Co. selling the iPhone, at least not anytime soon.

3. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Yeah. I don't know how accurate the information you heard about CostCo is, but we may start hearing those rumours soon. I think the reason they didn't provide a reason is...they don't really need one. It's not they're like "$2 Off!!!!" It just lists the price and says the iPhone is coming, so if people don't have an Apple store nearby, they'll go to Walmart.

By the way, how much is the activation fee?

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You would go to Wal-Mart if ...

• You don't have an Apple Store or AT&T Store
    • You have Wal-Mart gift cards you need to use
    • You are an employee of Wal-Mart and want to use your 10% discount

:)

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Also if you don't have a Best Buy nearby.
    Now how many people don't have any of those three?

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, the advantage is that it is in more stores. If you hadn't noticed, however, that's an advantage for Apple, not you.

Why do people on this board spend so much time deciding where to buy the phone? If you have something like a gift card, or if one kind of store is closer than another kind, then great. Go there.

But there's no big reason why everyone should go to one place over the any other. Just buy the phone wherever you are and get on with your life.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

8. Robby9279 macrumors regular

I absolutely 100% agree with everything you just said.
    +435984375694567... Nice :p

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Well but there's always the people who just have a brand preference to one store or another. And if they're doing ALL their shopping at wally world (as many do), then it just adds to the convenience factor.

If Best Buy really drops the price by ~$10 as rumored, that could be a much bigger impact...since then people will use the "savings" they got to buy cases, etc.

10. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Actually, I wanted to clarify something here. My dad went into best buy the other day, asking if he could add a data plan to my phone or just to see if it was even possible. This was because I bought an iPhone off eBay, and just popped my sim in and was good to go, and didn't need to sign for all the contracts/data ect (No I didn't get extra charges for using internet, my dad has internet/data blocked on all our phones). That's somewhat beside the point though. The point I'm trying to make is that, the other day my dad went into bestbuy to buy my brother a late Christmas gift (they didn't know what to get him). So my dad asked how much an iPhone cost. They said they could sell it for $159 bucks due to the economy, and also that we are planning to invest a good sum of money on a new tv.

Long story short: Bestbuy told my dad they could sell the iphone for $159 USD

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Then your dad's lucky.
    Did he get it?
    They probably just did it as last minute kinda thing

12. Robby9279 macrumors regular

No he has not, he is waiting to find out what to do with my phone (Whether update it to the iPhone plan or just leave it be).
    More than likely though, BestBuy will offer him the same price or even possibly lower when he goes to buy it. My dad met the Manager and Director of the South East of our local BestBuy, and I guess he's hooked him up with our TV price and and anything else we decide to buy from them.
    I don't believe it was a last minute situation though, he went in today and it was the same price.