Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is leopard worth $129

• Yes

Votes: 145 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 46 24.1%

• Total voters

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Still on Tiger at the mo...
Just wondering what ppl think about leopard? :p

Overhyped? :D

To me, it seems like most of the stuff is just eye candy - 3d dock, better UI and stuff

Only time machine is the only real functional new feature.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I'm also on tiger (still) and would be interested in this poll.

personally I think that timemachine alone is worth half of the 129 bucks but I have to save up a little more...since the next thing on my list is a ram upgrade.

byakuya

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Still on Tiger at the mo...
Just wondering what ppl think about leopard? :p

Overhyped? :D

To me, it seems like most of the stuff is just eye candy - 3d dock, better UI and stuff

Only time machine is the only real functional new feature.

To me...I don't think new Finder with cover flow and especially quick look is eye candy. quick look is very useful...more than just eye candy.

don't know what they have done but Leopard and apps are snappier than in Tiger.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The biggest change with Leopard IMO is that it's 64 bit top to bottom as opposed to the half way house that was Tiger.
Definitely worth the price without any question :D

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Is there any overall performance benefits? Thats my only question .......?

I have also read that the upgrade did not go well for some, and that some said they ended doing a full install and loosing everything

ktrix

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
If you have a MacBook with the GMA950 video chipset, I'd wait for the first software update before upgrading to Leopard. I just installed 10.5 on my MacBook, and the animation effects (e.g., Expose, Genie, Spaces, Stacks, Dashboard) are slow/jerky. I'm going to try a clean install tomorrow, but I doubt that's the issue. If that doesn't work, I'm going back to Tiger.

Be patient. There are a lot of strange little glitches/bugs in Leopard right now. 10.5.1 will be a lot more polished.

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Worth $129 alone for the fact that the AirPort menu now displays instantaneously. Everything is fast.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
If you have a MacBook with the GMA950 video chipset, I'd wait for the first software update before upgrading to Leopard. I just installed 10.5 on my MacBook, and the animation effects (e.g., Expose, Genie, Spaces, Stacks, Dashboard) are slow/jerky. I'm going to try a clean install tomorrow, but I doubt that's the issue. If that doesn't work, I'm going back to Tiger.

Be patient. There are a lot of strange little glitches/bugs in Leopard right now. 10.5.1 will be a lot more polished.

Thank you for sharing those experiences...I am also a Macbook owner and was planning on waiting a little before upgrading.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
As I said in another thread: The Mail Activity thingy showing the progress when sending (especially large) e-mails, alone, makes the upgrade worthwhile... :)

Now, of course, there's more goodies than that... I'm very exited about the Mail/iCal changes, and look forward to check those out more thoroughly...

And then there is Time Machine...

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Definitely worth it. I can see a noticeable difference with the graphics, everything is snappier and the improvements to Mail, Safari alone are worth the small cost. If you were an unfortunate Windows user think how much it would cost you to get Vista.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Didn't Panther have 129 features for $129? So this time we got 300 features for $129. Clearly a much bigger bargain. :)

(I won't mention that most of the 300 features affect only a minority of users. Then again, I've spotted a number of Leopard features that weren't mentioned in Apple's "300 feature" list.)

keirmeister

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
I paid a little over $100 for my copy via Corporate discount. So for that price, compared to what you would get for Vista - yeah, it's worth it.

But that doesn't mean it's perfect.

My biggest complaint is that Leopard and networked disks (I'm using the AEBS) is a NIGHTMARE! It simply does not work well, and that's a problem since I use 4 different networked drives via the AEBS, and Tiger had no problem with this. When the network drive connections fail, I cannot unmount anything else - including USB drives connected directly to the machine. They better fix this quickly!

Stacks would be alot more useful if it was more configurable (like...turn it off for certain folders). Oh, and the icon for a stacked folder is whatever icon shows as the first app/doc in the list. This is obnoxious to no end. I also hate the way the stack concatenates long file names.

I don't have a problem with the opaque menu bar, but it would be nice to set the opacity.

Otherwise, 10.5 is pretty elegant. Of all the new features, I'll probably use Spaces the most. Windows has had this feature forever, and I really missed it when I switched over. I would love it if Apple would allow the Finder to sort grouping folders and files separately, but oh well....

One last thing: I performed a clean install.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Keep in mind that most people that had an easy install experience are not going to post it.

My Install went fine (I did a erase and install though)

I think so far a lot of things are just UI type changes. But I'm sure once I use it for a day I will think much differently.

man2525

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2004
Orlando, FL
Question about Speed

I pick up my copy next week from my University's computer store. I'm not sure if anyone can make a direct comparison, but how does the speed compare to Ubuntu or Vista?

Thanks

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
If you consider the cost of decent third-party utilities and system add-ons, etc..., $129 is a bargain for a completely revamped operating system with 300 new bells and whistles.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I paid a little over $100 for my copy via Corporate discount. So for that price, compared to what you would get for Vista - yeah, it's worth it.

But that doesn't mean it's perfect.

My biggest complaint is that Leopard and networked disks (I'm using the AEBS) is a NIGHTMARE! It simply does not work well, and that's a problem since I use 4 different networked drives via the AEBS, and Tiger had no problem with this. When the network drive connections fail, I cannot unmount anything else - including USB drives connected directly to the machine. They better fix this quickly!

Stacks would be alot more useful if it was more configurable (like...turn it off for certain folders). Oh, and the icon for a stacked folder is whatever icon shows as the first app/doc in the list. This is obnoxious to no end. I also hate the way the stack concatenates long file names.

I don't have a problem with the opaque menu bar, but it would be nice to set the opacity.

Otherwise, 10.5 is pretty elegant. Of all the new features, I'll probably use Spaces the most. Windows has had this feature forever, and I really missed it when I switched over. I would love it if Apple would allow the Finder to sort grouping folders and files separately, but oh well....

One last thing: I performed a clean install.

I have 3 drives connected to an AEBS and I have no issues with any of them.

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX

Not just you. I did a clean install and they are indeed very jerky, somewhat disappointed in Leopard. I really don't think it runs smoother than Tiger. That may only be perception based upon the poor animations.

MaliciousDesign

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Not just you. I did a clean install and they are indeed very jerky, somewhat disappointed in Leopard. I really don't think it runs smoother than Tiger. That may only be perception based upon the poor animations.

I am very pleased with the upgrade. I think the dock looks fantastic, the changes to iChat make the program SO much better to use, and finally, I love searching through my documents in coverflow.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I paid $199 for the family pack--since Apple treats me like an honest person with no 40 digit codes and activation idiocy, I treat Apple with similar respect by paying for the family pack. (And yes, I know there is no difference. It's an honor thing.)

Was it worth it?

Absolutely.

The speed.
The dozen or so killer features.
The thousands of little enhancements.

It's a great update. Well worth the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.