So was stock as constrained as the rumors suggested?

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
Just trying to gauge how accurate the rumors were or whether the demand just wasnt there...

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
Constrained. IMO, Apple intentionally did this. It's almost like the X will be limited edition without the title. Sometime in March they will announce that production of the X will cease and the X's or whatever they decide to call it will start. They still have the 8 to sell if anyone wants a newer iphone.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I wasn't able to get into the store until about 3:10 -- so 10 min after preorders started. At that point delivery was already at "delivers in 3-4 weeks." So yes, I'd say supply was as constrained as possible. Of course that is not a reflection of how popular or unpopular the X is, only that there wasn't much guaranteed launch day inventory.

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
It seems carriers were given additional supplies and therefore had handsets for pre-order later than usual. Which isn't bad at all. Just wish apples own float was a little more padded. A months delay in under 15 minutes seems like it was still fairly short, but not the hunger games that all the reports suggested.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
In the UK you could choose the 'pick-up' option and get 3rd November for about 30 minutes (at least for Oxford Street I could). But the 'delivery' option slipped 2-3 weeks in only a few minutes.

Never seen that before, and I imagine a number of people in the UK missed their opportunity to get their phone on launch day as a result. This was on the website.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
It's been worse, but generally not for all models - like, the space black or whatever iPhone 7 sold out in moments, the first Apple Watch had low numbers of the black models and especially tiny numbers of the black stainless steel models.

But in this case all models shipments sold out quickly, except for Sprint, who seems less popular among the iPhone crowd and also had issues with their online store for a while which extended their selling period.

iStockNow

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
A few notes:
- Usually pick up isn't available the same day of the online orders. (for iPhone)
- The online delay very quickly went to 2/3 weeks
- Most got saved by the store pickup.

So basically we used to have 2 waves : online and pickup, which got merged into one for this launch.
This allowed way more people to touchdown a 11.3 date.

Overall, I think "we" got lucky to be in, and the real drought is starting now.
Pick up has been quickly depleted and who knows when refills are coming.

Reactions: saltd and Diorama

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
TMobile is still currently showing 11/3-11/10 delivery on all models. Unless that's just completely inaccurate, I'd say it seems to have been overblown.

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
In the UK you could choose the 'pick-up' option and get 3rd November for about 30 minutes (at least for Oxford Street I could). But the 'delivery' option slipped 2-3 weeks in only a few minutes.

Never seen that before, and I imagine a number of people in the UK missed their opportunity to get their phone on launch day as a result. This was on the website.
I'm still pissed I didn't make a reservation at a London store. I chose the small Brighton because I thought it would be easier to deal with but boy was I wrong. I would have had a 3rd Nov handset if I had :/

jmann

macrumors 604
I preordered last night within about 15 minutes of opening. New IUP signup and I got the "we can't make a decision on your application now." I got an email 3.5 hours later saying my order was unable to be processed. When I just did another order now, I have a 5 week minimum wait time. :(

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I'd say so. Shipping dates pushed back far very quickly. But as other said, store pick-up was available for a good hour into the release. NYC still has 64 Black pickup at 5th Ave location.

Apple seemed to allocate more stock for store pickup (or perhaps customers preferred shipping).

Wackery

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2015
I preordered last night within about 15 minutes of opening. New IUP signup and I got the "we can't make a decision on your application now." I got an email 3.5 hours later saying my order was unable to be processed. When I just did another order now, I have a 5 week minimum wait time. :(
it’s ok, I’ll sell you one on the 3rd of November for just 2,300$

importraverxx

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
11/3 lasted awhile it feels like. I got one through IUP pre-approval then literally close the app went back in and got another one through ATT Next, both 11/3.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I ordered at 4:45 eastern time and got a 11/3 date using the AT&T app, so that was surprisingly easy. I think the Apple Store app worked beautifully for some, but terribly for others. I tried using the Apple Store app, but it kept hanging up. Glad I gave up and tried AT&T!

That being said, it’s likely going to dry up very quickly and for many weeks soon.

formicaman

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2017
I wasn't able to get into the store until 3:10am and wasn't terribly fast but still got a Nov 3 date

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I dont know, T-Mobile online store still has them available for Launch Day shipping. Just because it is constrained at Apple store, does not mean it's constrained elsewhere. I think iPhone 6 was the most major sellout being the first in a radical design (maybe iPhone 4 before that).

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I think they intentionally kept the stock constrained because we are the genuiea pigs. They'll want for us to find the faults so then they can go to mass production with the problems fixed.