So we are back to square one! Jailbreak and 4S

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by The Highlander, Oct 15, 2011.

1. The Highlander macrumors 6502

This is my 4th iphone. This is my 4th iPhone jailbroken.

Every year is the same old Crap.
    If I upgrade (which I did and have done) well, I'll have to wait to install ALL the jailbreak apps that REALLY make the iPhone shine.

One of my friends bought a galaxy S2 3 days ago... His thought... No real need to root it. All the stuff "wanted" are there on the market and if a root is needed it is ALWAYS available.

This is not a RANT on any DEV team, this is a rant on APPLE! I am getting frustrated, that the apps that are really needed like sbsettings, bitesms, multiicon mover and others are not installable through the app store.

This 4S update, was REALLY not that impressive, and after a day with the 4S not even Siri is holding me to the iPhone. Unless I really start using the mirroring and stuff (which I can do with the 4), I think i'll return the iPhone back.

I believe Apple should leave the holes and permit the jailbreak for the "savvy" people a little easier. Cat and mouse game should be over and we should just be treated as an ADDITIONAL and very vocal community. If I move to android, I know many of my friends will to as they regard me as their TECH guy... or NERD? LOL

Thoughts?

2. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

do you like cheese with that whine?

3. HPLouis macrumors regular

A lot of it has to do with security. My agency, I work for the Federal Government, is making the transition from Blackberry to iPhones right now. If there were glaring security holes, or if open holes were found and not closed immediately, we would dump Apple quickly.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

please just by a Android then!!!! IOS devices are more secure so it takes time to find exploits. they already have 5 exploits to look at. So the wait shouldn't be long. the 4S has been out just over 24 hours! :rolleyes:

And yes you should plan on the fact that a new IOS device will not have a jailbreak on release. it's been like that since day one. dev-team finds holes Apple patches them. Cat and Mouse again been that way since day one!

5. iPhone 7 macrumors member

I like the way you say we are an addition to the iOS community. But Apple can not leave exploits in their software because those same exploits can used in bad ways by bad people. We're just lucky the good hackers and exploit finders are on our side.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Switch to Android. Please.

OTA delta upgrades are going to mean your jailbreaks will be closed soon after they are released anyway, so just go to the phone you really want anyway.

Buh bye

7. tctony, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Everyone but OP: s. t. f. u. We don't want security holes, we want a damn "Jailbreak Switch." We want more access to our phones.

8. Theraker007 macrumors regular

you can turn them off.. which is what any sane JB'er will end up doing

@ OP: I'm confused, if youre unimpressed by the updates, why did you get them anyway knowing youd lose the jb apps you love?

9. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

It doesn't seem like the iPhone is the right phone for you. Good luck with your new Android.

10. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Return it and get a android its that simple..why did you get it if you knew what's coming...

11. Beefnoodle macrumors newbie

So then why did you buy all 4 iterations if this bothers you so much.:rolleyes:

Don't like it, don't buy it, it's that simple.

12. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Stop buying iPhones

13. blunti macrumors 6502a

this. Those with the immature comments should keep them to themselves.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You know, if I could have quick access to settings a la SB settings and five icons on my dock without jail breaking, I think I'd give up my jailbreak now. I'm loving my new 4S even un-jailbroken, and I don't really miss most of my jailbreak tweaks. Apple has done a great job taking the best of what the jailbreak community has done and implementing it in the OS.

15. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Except for theming (especially the lock screen - its hideous), quick compose of text, the brightness level (lowest setting is way too bright), texting from your computer, among other things. iOS 5 is definitely better, but I am really missing my jailbreak. The 4S is very snappy though.

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Except for quick compose / quick reply (which doesn't bother me *too* much) I don't really care for any of those features. I don't find the lowest brightness level to be very usable in anything except the darkest of rooms... and I have pretty good eyes.

In fact, if/when a jailbreak comes out, the only tweak I'll probably get is tetherme. I liked SBSettings at one point, but these days I find I don't really need access to the shortcuts since I leave everything enabled anyway.

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I do and need none of the things you describe. I realize that others have needs and desires that I do not share, but I was speaking only for myself and made no claims for others.

That said, when a jailbreak becomes available I am sure I will avail myself of it. And I will probably install the transparent lock screen theme and a better carrier logo along with SBSettings and Infinidock. Oh, and NoSpot. But the list of jailbreak apps I need is dwindling fast.

ETA: Safari Download Manager and iFile will also find their way back onto my phone, I'm sure.

18. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Incorrect and stop using the meme to send everyone back to android. it's old and overused.

Agreed basic tweaks aren't even allowed in Apple store. The customization is very limited with the current OS.

Will definetly jailbreak once an untether comes out(hopefully userland exploit) and will add the standard tweaks, sbsettings, springtomize, winterboard, etc.

19. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

The "quick reply" is okay now, but there really needs to be a quick compose. The lowest brightness setting is incredibly bright in a dark room. SBSettings is best for adjusting brightness. TetherMe is a must for using your own data.

I want Glasklart for my icons and a clear lock screen with tap to unlock as well.

SBSettings is a must. So are iFile, FolderEnhancer, Dimmer/f.lux, and Landscape Lock Rotation for me. There are a ton of little tweaks that I really like as well.

I agree iOS 5 is better than previous versions (as it should be), but there is still a compelling list of reasons to jailbreak. Not the least of which is just having control of your own phone.

20. The Highlander thread starter macrumors 6502

That is precisely the point... Get a jailbreak switch and be done with it. Maybe like M$ did with its handset?

To everyone that is encouraging to buy Android and whatever, I expected your responses, this is an Apple "fanboy" site. But the fact that you do NOT acknowledge the competition means that the product and user will NOT get better as it should. You will never miss what you haven't experienced, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try new things.

Apple was uber on 2007. On 2011 everyone is either catching up or surpassing. Has anyone played with the messages app in android??? It's like a bitesms on STEROIDS.

What about the camera? From what I have seen or been able to compare from MY EXPERIENCE, the camera from the s2 looks better, or I like the results from the S2 camera vs the i4s camera.

There are still many caveats which honestly Apple should get on high gear.

Yes their stock is in an ALL time high. Doesn't mean there aren't any flaws. It means they have created a hype, released a minor upgrade and everyone is eating it. What would the stock have been have they released the i5?

----------

Because the 3gs was an enough upgrade over the 3g to wait patiently. It would still give me time to adjust to the new screen, apps from app store and similar things. Same thing with the 4 vs 3gs. I thought it would have been the same.

Aside from that, I have an Apple TV and being able to Airplay was big enough a deal to keep in the Apple family. Add to that the fact that the i4 dropped SO MANY freaking calls, had the damn proximity sensor problem and the home button that was unstable, I wanted the update to fix those issues and so far the 4s has fixed them ALL permanently. Siri was still an upgrade and I like it. But... In the end... it's not that much more phone than the 4 was. Not like the 3gs>>>>>>>>>>>>3g.

21. JayHD macrumors member

Honestly, unless you're desperate to customize the appearance, hasn't Apple pretty much added every compelling feature that made JBs so important over the last few years? I still intend to JB, don't get me wrong, but a couple iOS versions ago I would have waited before upgrading in lieu of losing my JB advantages. Now if only Apple would let Siri toggle settings (wifi, bluetooth, etc.)

I don't see that happening. The DMCA exemptions should make Apple wary of forcibly pushing any updates. Plus, there would obviously be a JB tweak preventing those changes from going through.