So, we bought an iPhone 4 on eBay...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Doddz321, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Doddz321 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

new member here

So, last week we bought an iPhone 4 from ebay, It was locked to Vodafone here in the UK. It didn't come with a sim or anything, so we got a sim, put it in, and it had no signal bars, after connecting it to the laptop and it doing some update, it now says no service.

I wanted to get it unlocked, so found a service on ebay to do that, they've told me that after doing a check the phone was basically claimed on insurance and it's blocked by the carrier, or multiple carriers.

So, my question is this, the listing said nothing about it being blocked in any way, just said fully working bla bla.

Now I know I can get my money back from paypal and the like, that's not a problem, I was wondering however, if any of you guys think it might be worth trying to get it unlocked from that network and trying others, or calling the network to explain the situation, in the hopes they could lift the block.

Basically I want to see if I can do anything before having to go through the paypal and claim thing where they will want me to verify its blocked and all that stuff.

Thanks in advance!

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

sounds like a sure case of IMEI blacklisting, which is standard practice in the UK and most of Europe. this is done for stolen and lost phones. there is no way for you to unblock the IMEI, only the original owner/account user can request this. you bought a paperweight. your best bet is to file a claim through ebay and paypal, stating they sold you a lost/stolen iphone with a blacklisted IMEI and that was not indicated in the sale. there is no way you will be able to use this device no matter what you do.

3. irfysales macrumors newbie

Hi there,

If all else fails there IS a way to repair iPhones that display 'No Service'.
    For more information contact irfy-sales@hotmail.com

Regards