So we're pretty sure...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taylorwilsdon, Jan 9, 2008.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

that an ultraportable is coming out, right? I've seen the patents, the docking station, all that so I'm confident enough that I just sold my 15''.

Now, I'm going to feel stupid if it doesn't come out :(

Are we sure that at least something new is coming?

2. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty confident there will be a smaller macbook or mbp next week.

I haven't sold my 17 yet. But as excited as I was to get it last year, I'm really tired of dragging it around. It's a great laptop, but that extra 2" makes a huge difference in annoyance carrying it around. Something I didn't expect.

The pendulum has swung the other way for me. When I'm at my desk, I'm using the MP most of the time anyway.

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Patents are just legal measures to protect ideas... don't be expecting to see outlandish ideas like the recent docking station patent to actually come out anytime soon.

I am expectant of a 13" MBP, though.

4. gyumilly macrumors member

I'm on the same boat. If it doesn't come out, I will be lost. I just hope it will be priced right.

5. DaLurker macrumors 6502

A 13" MBP with docking station would be so cool. I gotta see that when it comes out. That said though I'm really happy about the size of my 15" MBP. I have to use it without an external display enough to justify the extra weight.

I'm anxiously waiting to see what comes out next week :)

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You are one hell of an idiot, I am hoping that you're joking... you are joking right?

Come on dude, you saw some patents that will prove nothing at all, some ugly, high school photoshop class mockups of an iMac posing as a docking station, and you sold your 15" for a pipe dream....? Wow.... I thought it couldn't get any worse on this site but man!

Dude... no one will know anything until January 15th, you should have waited until then to at least put your book on the market. I hope you got enough from the book to get some kind of machine whether or not the ultra light book comes out or not.

I love you as a fellow Mac brother/sister but I'd feel stupid right now.

PATIENCE!

7. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Am I the only one just waiting to see if a little power boost or something comes? Im not all that excited about a possible ultra portable. I just want some minor power upgrades so I don't have to keep waiting to get my 15".

8. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I would think it's extremely likely that the MBPs will get the new Penryn chips at the very least.

That's at a minimum.

9. Skeets macrumors newbie

I'm with you. I'll be starting a new job on Monday and they've agreed to buy me a MBP (good thing, as my iBook G4 is slowing to a crawl). I would have already ordered the MBP, but-for the possibility of a spec bump on Tuesday. To me, it's the nearly a perfect notebook computer (maybe an 1 or 2 extra USB ports would make it perfect), and I don't want a huge overhaul (other than maybe a bit thinner).

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The big issue I have is that many users really want a 15" MacBook, not a MacBook Pro. Two USB ports is one too many for me. I need more FW ports on both the 15" and 17" models. And making it thinner means it will have to cut something out of the case. The case is already too small to allow for much improvement, so how about Apple makes it a hair bigger and give us Professional power users some real hardware to go along with their Pro books.

11. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Why would you sell a 2.2ghz-2.4ghz for a 1.06-1.33?

Technically you aren't even in the market for an ultra-portable. Or you wasted your money purchasing the 15". For an idea of what an ultra-portable is, sony is selling one for $2,099 on their site. The portables in the $1599 range like the rumored Apple price, are not ultra portable at all.

12. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

You.. Sold your MBP in anticipation of a rumour coming true...? :eek:

13. Skeets macrumors newbie

I certainly wouldn't want to sacrifice performance for a slightly thinner enclosure. With that said, I don't think Apple will buck the trend of thinner portables if and when they rev the MBP design.

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I don't think apple will sacrifice performance for a decent laptop. They will for the ultra portable MacBook though, and i hope they sacrifice portability no some kind of real desktop replacement, or at least a 17" with some more features.

15. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

If your machine does infact come out, smart move, if not?
    Unlucky.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly...

I have a buyer for my MBP lined up, should they release a ultra portable and a resonable price point (however if rumors of required Dock are true - I can't see the rumors of a $1500 price point being true), but I certainly wouldn't sell my MBP before hand.

Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.

17. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I hope for your sake that the RUMORS are true.

Will have to say this tho, for the short time I have been around the forums, the rumor section seem to be spot on, so you may have not made that bad of a choice. But if i were you, i would have waited another week.

18. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Didn't even read this thread again alot of hating going on.

Still have the MPB as I type but I've got it listed for sale (and a couple people who want to pick it up now)

I'm assuming some sort of update, whether in the form of an ultraportable or just an updated macbook pro will materialize at macworld. Why would it not?

Anyways, its not like I'm giving away my lifeline. Its just a computer. I need something smaller anyways for my laptop so worse case I'll buy an EEEpc.

19. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I have been thinking about an EEEpc too actually. Sony has some ace ultra-potables, but they are like $2k and up. Nice though :(

20. mag2001 macrumors 6502

I did the same thing.:D
    It helps that I have a Imac and not left without a computer till then.
    whatever happens at MWSF I will be buying something.

21. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Yeah I own a slowly dying x505. I'm sure it will be a collector piece someday so I try not to use it for my daily stuff. Might bring it back into rotation though.

22. hippo206 macrumors 6502

What??? The OP says "all that so I'm confident enough that I just sold my 15"