Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
i was pretty siked for this release. I bought an entirely new ipad that would run it so i’m pretty biased to like it. Think sunk cost fallacy lol

If i had one word to describe what i’ve played with last night and this morning it would be: YIKES. Keyframing issues, no speed ramping, limited selection of fx, bugs with Picture in Picture, green screen chroma key being buggy and only working sometimes, color grading is not great, odd behavior trying to animate text, basic fx and tools i‘ve had on luma fusion for years that just arent here. I havent even played with Final Cut on Mac in years but even i was thinking “hey i remember so and so on Mac and it’s just not here”. I thought that multiple times.

I know i know. It’s always different when you start learning a new program and you have to adjust to a new way of doings things so it’s always a learning process. The beginning is always frustrating. But there are things that are just not intuitive. My feelings may change over time. Just initially, I’m not liking it as much as i thought i would. It went from “ohhh i like the layout of some things“ and playing with settings to when I actually tried making something it just didnt go the way i wanted. I spent so much time last night ignoring my wife watching tutorials for it to turn out like this lol lets just sum it up with this is a very version 1.0 release But I’m sure others are happy with it. So lets hear your experiences

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
While I don't use Final Cut as much as Logic, I have really enjoyed playing with both. It is NOT the exact same UI as on the desktop, nor should it be. It feels similar, but scrolling and scrubbing with your fingers is so much fun. Reminds me when Steve showed off the iPad and mentioned "it's like touching the website". I feel like I am touching my timeline.

Side note, I always hated doing volume automations in logic because find adjustments are just finicky for me, being able to just draw those changes on the iPad is so great!

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
i was pretty siked for this release. I bought an entirely new ipad that would run it so i’m pretty biased to like it. Think sunk cost fallacy lol

If i had one word to describe what i’ve played with last night and this morning it would be: YIKES. Keyframing issues, no speed ramping, limited selection of fx, bugs with Picture in Picture, green screen chroma key being buggy and only working sometimes, color grading is not great, odd behavior trying to animate text, basic fx and tools i‘ve had on luma fusion for years that just arent here. I havent even played with Final Cut on Mac in years but even i was thinking “hey i remember so and so on Mac and it’s just not here”. I thought that multiple times.

I know i know. It’s always different when you start learning a new program and you have to adjust to a new way of doings things so it’s always a learning process. The beginning is always frustrating. But there are things that are just not intuitive. My feelings may change over time. Just initially, I’m not liking it as much as i thought i would. It went from “ohhh i like the layout of some things“ and playing with settings to when I actually tried making something it just didnt go the way i wanted. I spent so much time last night ignoring my wife watching tutorials for it to turn out like this lol lets just sum it up with this is a very version 1.0 release But I’m sure others are happy with it. So lets hear your experiences
My impression is that it's not worth it at the moment, other than for Apple die hard fans. It's very limited and has even less features than Lumafusion (other than the pencil ones). Apple fans are like, oh editing with touch is so fun!
Really? It's been possible with Lumafusion for years. And if you want something even more powerful, but less optimized for touch, full Davinci is there too. Both offer more value (and features) for money. Another argument I hear is, oh but this is version 1.0. Yeah, which they could have been working on for years. I rather believe some limitations like the SSD one are on purpose to push people to buy expensive iPads with 1 or 2 TB, and won't change. But some will say I am cynical...
The only real advantage I see if for those who already have Final Cut on the Mac and want to start a project on the iPad and then finish it on the Mac (but not the opposite)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.