Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If AT&T insurance is legit, will you purchase it?

• Yes, I plan on purchasing insurance through AT&T.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I will purchase insurance, but not through AT&T.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I will not be purchasing any insurance.

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Now that iPhone 4 has been confirmed, has anybody had a conversation with an AT&T rep about this... I skimmed through the keynote and didn't hear Jobs say anything about it... I figured he would if it was true.

Furthermore (just a side not), that AT&T insurance actually seemed kind of "cheap" if it is legit... One of the nurses at work said she pays $16.99/month at best buy! That's CRAZY! If I remember correctly the AT&T plan was $13.99/month (w/ a deductible).

MacRumors Article

If the insurance is in fact legit... will you be purchasing?

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
I'm considering forgoing Applecare and getting a SquareTrade warranty/insurance.

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Put me down for SquareTrade. First phone insurance for me. I have purchased Squaretrade insurance for all my outdoor cameras.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Have we heard anything about the legitimateness of this story?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I had a phase where I went through 3 3G phones in less than a year due to water damage/dropping them, and then I got a case and started being much more careful. Since then in the past year my current 3G phone hasn't been damaged at all and is in pristine condition.

Overall, I don't feel the need for insurance anymore, if you had asked me a year ago I would have probably bought into it. Anything over $10 a month seems steep to me, so if that's the case I'll forgo it and pay up if on the rare occasion I do need it due to negligence.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
@Dwalls

I don't know how people damage phones so much... I left my white 3Gs out of a case forever... it didn't show scratches (that was a plus) but I've never dropped it or anything... hm.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I skimmed through the keynote and didn't hear Jobs say anything about it...

Why would he?

It's a developers conference.

What does device insurance have to do with software development?

He didn't say anything about data plans, either. And that, at least, would have some relevance to developers. (Because it would clue them in on data usage expectations for their software.)

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Why would he?

Because although he has never mentioned it, you know that he knows that it is a concern from a lot of people... and I know he was demo-ing the iPhone itself which is available on many different carriers across the world, but since he talked about the AT&T upgrade eligibility I figured he would touch on that to make it more "appealing".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.