So what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maggiep67, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Maggiep67 macrumors regular

Maggiep67

Hey everyone,

I need some advice. My daughter dropped her iPhone 5c today and smashed the screen. It's unusable and has been acting crazy since she came home (will randomly start playing music, open apps, type crazy letters on the spotlight).

The phone was purchased on contract last April (she made presidents honor roll the ENTIRE school year before and ALL last year as well). She is pretty responsible and an all-around good kid so we decided to surprise her with it. Someone bumped into her and the iPhone fell from her hand on to the asphalt.

Haven't contacted Apple directly (no AppleCare on it). The phone was purchased through AT&T. There is no insurance on her phone (and I notice I have been paying for insurance through AT&T for my 6 plus and I have AppleCare...hmmm. I made need to cancel that.)

I'd like to replace it for her but don't want to break the bank either. She gave up 75.00 of her money that she has been saving to put towards the cost of a replacement. Thoughts on what I should do here?

Thanks,
    Maggie

2. roguebear macrumors newbie

Did you purchase it with a credit card? If so, there may be a warranty that the credit card provides. I would check that first. I think otherwise, the only option is an out-of-warranty replacement, which would be $269.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's only for the first 3 months.

If the only damage is the screen that can be replaced for cheaper at the Apple Store.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah the out of warranty replacement looks to be the best course of action here. The only thing cheaper would be to hunt around Amazon/eBay/Craigslist for a used one.

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

get the screen replace at apple for $129 I think for 5c or pay them $229 for a refurbished model.

6. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Get an out-of-warranty replacement. By far the cheapest and safest option.

7. Maggiep67 thread starter macrumors regular

Maggiep67

Thanks for the advice everyone. Made an apppointment at the Apple Store for this weekend. I think the out of warranty phone is probably our best bet.

Thanks again
    Maggie