So what are we all doing with our brickbook flaws?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by likemyorbs, Oct 19, 2008.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

my new macbook, as well as many of yours, has two flaws. crooked function keys and a loose battery cover. what are you all doing to deal with the situation? i havent decided yet...

Attached Files:

2. bananabar macrumors regular

Very apt poster.

What is it with Apple and their inability to release products without several problems?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While I'm a huge proponent of making sure you're happy with your purchase, posting in multiple threads probably isn't going to get you anywhere.

My battery cover is not 100000% flush. This is a removable part and like my PB, I would anticipate there would be a 64th of a mm where it doesn't just sit flush. I can't even tell tbh without fully examining. As far as the slanted function keys ... I can't speak to that.

Here is the deal. You need to take your MacBook back and ask for a replacement. The battery cover won't affect functionality, but the keys may in due time. You need not to be so critical of everything, but the function keys, if they are indeed as slanted as you say, may warrant an exchange.

A note to all really, when removing your new machines from a box why not just inspect it for the obvious flaws, make sure all keys work, no dead pixels, etc. Just enjoy it. It's a portable and in time if you actually use your portable as a portable there will be other little bumps and bruises in the years to come.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

As I've said before in another thread...

These are first-generation products of a complete redesign. These issues are going to happen with ANY company with ANY brand new product. It's actually common practice to avoid the first-gen of any new product and I do the same with Apple.

And it's not even first-generation, it's the first few runs of the manufacturing process. It'll get refined as time goes by...

But you can go and talk to a Genius about this and they might be willing to help you out. This is something that matters quite a bit because you don't want dust getting near the battery or HDD.

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

My battery cover is actually a little wonky, but the "slanted" function keys is not a flaw. They look right top down, which is all that matters. That's design.

Since my battery cover moves about... 1/10th of an inch, maybe, I'm not worried. If it gets bigger, I'll take it to the Apple store and get a new one.

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i actually started this thread to see how everyone is dealing with the situation. learn to live with it? return it? i know that posting in multiple threads wont fix my problem.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Some people also need to learn that they should embrace the little quirks about their machine...

My MacBook's right palmrest pops up a little bit. I can feel it when it moves. I figured it wasn't worth getting replaced because either 1) I'll just forget about it or 2) the palmrests will crack.

These little quirks make the notebook your own. It personalizes it.

8. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

it personalizes it when you develop those little quirks on your own, not when theyre there out of the box. thats a manufacturing issue, especially when other people have it, not very personal

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ha ha! You tell em Jessica.:)

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Hey, mine happened right out of the box. My iBook had issues as well. I understand that we all pay a pretty penny to get these great machines but with mass production you can't expect everything to be perfect.

11. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Very true, thats why im trying to not let it bother me and im not flying to the apple store for a replacement yet. still in the process of deciding what to do.

12. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

That got me whorried... Is everybody affected by that? Or just a small part?

Are you sure (the peoples affected) that you put the cover in place the right way?

13. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

it was that way right out of the box before i even touched the battery cover

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

My battery doesn't sit flush on my MacBook, and the case is slightly popping (less than a millimeter) up where the hole is so you can open up the display. They both annoy me, but I'll live with them.

15. alex000it macrumors member

I love my new :apple: MB even if it has the same issues.
    I don't care about because they're very hard to see and I remember that my old ibook 12" had the same problem with the battery cover.
    BTW, if I where you, i woldn't return it, because it can be that they give you one with even more problems (ex. stuck/dead pixels, dust under the screen ...) :eek:

16. applefriend2008 macrumors member

17. kellte2 macrumors regular

I've never returned something and been completely happy with the next product. I find something else wrong; its really a vicious cycle...

18. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

I agree kellte2 there is no point in not being completely satisfied with your purchase.

19. kellte2 macrumors regular

I think you misunderstood what I said. I've never returned something and not found something wrong on the NEW piece of equipment. When you return a product over something cosmetic, you seem to be making a commitment to finding the "perfect" one. Unfortunately, these aren't custom-tailored suits. They won't be flawless. They're built on an assembly line.

There is no hard and fast rule for returns as an early adopter. If you can live with it, do. An unnecessary return could end up resulting in an even more inferior product. If it something you feel is unacceptable, by all means, take it back.

Enjoy the computer, regardless.

20. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'd probably just follow the advice of the poster in the background. ____ happens. Just learn to live with it, is what I would probably say. God forbid you spend a bunch of time begging Apple for a replacement, and then drop it or something. Just live with what you have, as per the iPhone replacements, chances are you're going to end up with something worse than you had before.

21. kellte2 macrumors regular

bingo

22. bananabar macrumors regular

Mugs.

Are you telling me that if some of the cash that you used to pay for your Mac was defective/fake, Apple would just "live with it"? No way, they'd make sure you paid every last penny.

And customers should get what they pay for - not a computer that has issues and defects. And Apple need to learn this very soon otherwise all the customers with tinted screens, iPhones that crash, iPods that crack, PowerBook with batteries that explode, iPod which scorch their carpets, Macbooks with dodgy battery covers etc. etc. will simply start taking their perfectly good money elsewhere.

23. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I understand this point of view but it stings a little to blow a grand (uk money) on a laptop and it has obvious faults.

I'll be ordering soon but I have two Apple stores nearby and will pester them for a new battery cover if it shows the same problem.

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

We do, whether we buy an Apple Macintosh, a Sony Vaio, an HP or a Dell, we are paying for a mass produced consumer level product. I don't care which way you want to look at Apple, if you want to think of them as a company that makes "Premium Computers" or whatever, they are still selling us a mass produced consumer level computer and that's what we are paying for, accept the truth or not.
    Whether or not you paid $1000-2000 or $3000 for your Apple, you did not pay for a custom-exclusive-hand built machine.

I beg to wonder if some of you are this anal retentive when buying a new Windows PC. I think not, I'm betting most people turn it on and start using it.

25. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You seem like you're taking personal offense to what I suggested to the OP. Why? Suppose he takes his MacBook back, demands a new one, and finds dust under the screen? Now instead of an issue that he couldn't see, he has one that he can see. Was it worth it? Not really.

Quite frankly you are getting what you pay for. If you want a hand rolled computer, made with actual time and care, then expect to pay 10 times what you pay now - that's why a guitar (with technology from the 1950s) costs more than a state-of-the-art MacBook. MacBooks (and all Apple products) made in factory, probably in China, and guess what, as with everything else in the modern age, it's probably not going to be perfect. That's life. Sorry.

And please, let's be reasonable, other companies are horrible compared to Apple in terms of quality control. I defy you to find another company who does a better job of A) ensuring problems don't happen to begin with, and B) rectifying problems that exist on a customer by customer basis.