So, what can you do when not connected to iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by econoar, Apr 9, 2015.

1. econoar macrumors regular

I'm really wanting a Sport for fitness but can't find much info on what functionality is available when not connected to an iPhone. My biggest gripe about my 6+ is having to carry it to the gym with me or on runs for music/fitness tracking. I want to be able to do these with just my watch.

So I suppose it really boils down to, can you listen/control music and use the fitness tracker while leaving your phone behind?

2. Lizardo90 macrumors member

Yes you can. And assuming your gym offers free wifi, you can connect your phone and watch to there wifi and leave the phone back in the locker and just use the watch.

3. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that actually brings up another interesting question. Can the iPhone be on a wifi network at home while the watch is on a wifi network at say the gym and they will still communicate?

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

I believe they have to be on the same network.

5. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

No, needs to be the same wifi.

6. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

I've really been curious about the functionality of this. Basically, I use bluetooth headphones to listen to Spotify on my iPhone while at the gym. I usually have to move my phone around a little bit depending on what area of the gym I'm using (hate using armbands).

I know you can transfer 2GB or so of music onto the watch, but what about streaming apps like Spotify? Could I leave my phone out of bluetooth range in the locker room, have the watch and phone connected by being on the same WiFi network, and "stream" the music through the Apple Watch's connection to my headphones via Bluetooth?

7. Lizardo90 macrumors member

According to what ive read so far. Every functionality you have over BT you should have over wifi. so my guess is yes you can still stream your spotify music.

8. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Yeah I figured as much. I'm just hoping that the watch can serve as a bridge that finally gives me the ability to leave my phone in my locker.