Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I am struggling here. I am on my 2005 iMac and while it has been a great machine, it just can't keep up anymore. Time to upgrade.

I saw the new benchtests and honestly don't know how to read them. Could someone put them in laymans terms for me?

I know the current rMBP is more than enough machine, but I am trying to hold out so I have and know all my options.

Also, I always thought that a separate, discrete graphics card was preferrable to an integrated one. Now I am reading other opinions on this. What is the general consensus?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Your computational needs are the important factor. For many people an integrated graphics processor is more than capable of doing anything they want from the computer, for some, the IGP will not be enough.

As for the computational processing power of your 2005 iMac and a 2012 or 2013 Mac, the 2012 or 2013 Mac will be much, much, much, much faster than a 2005 iMac.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
13" or 15" one? The 15" one had a processor that benched faster than this gen's top of the line 2.8GHz processor. But it comes only with the Iris Pro GPU, without something like a 650M or 750M. While that should bring a drop in performance for gaming and such, battery life and heat output will be improved for intensive tasks. That might allow Apple to slim down the computer or add a larger battery.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Here are the basics, assuming that the benchmarks are legitimate and the notebooks ship in that conifguration:

13" rMBP:

- Moves from 35 watt CPU to 28 watt CPU.
- Marginally better CPU performance with less power usage.
- Moves from Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics to Intel Iris 5100 integrated graphics. Large boost in graphics performance

15" rMBP:

- Small increase in CPU performance
- Moves from integrated HD 4000 graphics to integrated Iris 5200 graphics
- No dedicated graphics chip, only integrated graphics

Of course even if that is completely accurate we still don't know what the whole lineup of 13" and 15" MBPs will look like, what different options will be available, etc. Overall we should see similar CPU performance and less power usage. The 13" gets a big graphics improvement, and the 15" moves from a graphics switching system to a single graphics solution for all tasks (at least in some models).

If the 15" drops the dedicated GPU in favor of Iris Pro, it will mean a bit less gaming performance but more consistent battery life. In the current 15" models, if a program activates the dedicated GPU your battery life can drop significantly.

Last edited:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Also, I always thought that a separate, discrete graphics card was preferrable to an integrated one. Now I am reading other opinions on this. What is the general consensus?

Things are changing. While a few years ago integrated graphics was barely able to render a text editor, the most recent iGPU option from Intel can easily compete with some mid range discrete GPUs.
There is no general consensus: Some people insist an iGPU can not be enough, some people want it at least to be better than the current dGPU, and others never cared for the dGPU in the first place.
An early comparison by anandtech.com shows that the fastest Intel iGPU is on par with a Nvidia 640M, but somewhat slower than the overclocked 650M that can be found in the current 15'' MBPs.

As for the computational processing power of your 2005 iMac and a 2012 or 2013 Mac, the 2012 or 2013 Mac will be much, much, much, much faster than a 2005 iMac.
much, much, much, much... much faster ;)

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
I would say wait till the new ones come out, see what new features it beholds, it shouldnt be more than a couple of months, and if you prefer the 2012 version you could pick one up barely used for a bargain either on ebay or through a reseller.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Benchmarks rate your computer in various tasks, usually, bigger numbers are better. The final result is an overall score that gives you an idea of your overall computing power.

If I check the geekbench results for a 2005 iMac G5, it scores roughly 1150 points.

My Mid 2012 cMBP with the 2.6Ghz processor scores 13100.

In layman's terms, the machine I am typing on is on average 11.5 times more powerful than your machine in what the benchmarks tests for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.