So what did you think of Grindhouse?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I would say Terror Planet was garbage and so was, in a way, Death Proof also. Death Proof was 10 times better though because it had more substance, even though there wasn't a reason for Stunt man Mike to kill anyone. There was too much dialog for a lot of scenes. They really didn't need to drag out a table scene for 20 minutes and most of the dialog didn't add up to the actual point (if any) of the movie.

Overall Grindhouse was a bummer. Action/horror, thriller or whatever it is needs to start becoming less of a snuff genre and more of what its supposed to be. Seeing people get killed or die creatively on screen is all great when you have substance, but to just watch a movie and see people get chopped up is really just... well bad.

Sorry, I sort of forgot it's called Grindhouse for a reason.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is the idea of a Grindhouse movie.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I love films like that sometimes - great fun! I've not gone to see it yet as my friend In Abq wants to see it too and I'll be visiting there in a couple weeks so we'll go then....oh yeah!

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

6. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Just got back from seeing it. Planet Terror was awesome. Blood, gore, guns. Fake trailers were hillarious. Deathproof was great too, Quintin did a great job writing the dialog.

Overall, I really liked it. Spent the whole time laughing our asses off. I'll end up seeing it again soon and then buying it on DVD for sure.

Now the only problem is going to be waking up for work in 3 hours... :D

7. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Saw it, loved it. Took me back a few years. :eek: Loved the fake trailers too, that was a nice touch. Given the demographic here, I'll take a guess that most of you are not old enough to have seen a Grindhouse movie, in an actual Grindhouse theater.

The long-gone Newton Corner Paramount theater (Newton, MA) was a Grindhouse theater. Much earlier in its history, it had been a grand theater, with very ornate interior decor, uniformed ushers, and balcony seating. Through the 70's, it showed horror movies, bad science fiction, and of course, Chase movies. Several classic chase movies were mentioned in Grindhouse, including Vanishing Point and "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry". Rent both of these, when your SO's are out for the evening, and you can just kick back with pizza and brews. Vanishing point is truly one of the greatest chase movies ever made. (and don't waste your time with the Made-for-tv remake from about ten years ago. Not good.)

For Horror movies, check out Don't look in the Basement and the ultra shlocky The House that Vanished This is one of those horror movies where you feel compelled to yell things at the characters on screen.

Overall, I'd say Kudos to Quentin T. and Robert R. for making a fun movie, and giving us a little movie history lesson besides.

Heh, I wish they'd make those fake trailers available for download, they were hilarious!

8. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Thanksgiving was really really good.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Nothing beats a B horror movie. I can't wait to see Grindhouse.

11. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I just have to find someone who wants to go see it with me. I can't wait.

12. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

One word: kickass. Actually, that's two words... but it wasn't "kick ass", it was kickass, so yeah, there it is.

It was the most fun I had watching a film since The Departed.

It's great to see these guys going all out and just making whatever they want.

Though it was weird thinking about Tarantino writing some of those lines. A great filmmaker, no doubt, but I don't think I necessarily want to meet him anytime soon.

irmongoose

13. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I am not old enough to have gone through the B-Movie days but I did like this movie.

I would invite those who did not like this movie and analyzed it from a serious perspective to re-watch it (or wait for DVD) and just have fun. These movies were so ridiculous that you just need to sit back and have a good time.

It was funny because normally I am a movie nitpicker and will walk out of movies yelling up a storm about how it sucked and get yelled at that I needed to see it as a movie. I walked out of this one thinking it was great and my colleagues were doing the same as I usually do - complaining that the movie was terrible.

I read that they did make Machete and it will be on the DVD release :cool: . "You just f***ed wtih the wrong Mexican." I can't stop laughing at that trailer.

14. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I can't wait to get this on DVD. Definitely one of the best of 2007 easily.

15. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Some of you might enjoy one of my favorite occasional stops on the web.
    Check out bad movies.org. The link

In the reviews, the "stuff I learned from this movie" comments are highly amusing.

16. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Im a little late to the party and I know this thread is pretty much dead, but I figured Id throw my 2 cents in. Just saw it today. I thought both features were totally awesome! I particularly liked Planet Terror. So over the top and cheesy that is was way cool. Same with Death Proof, but it felt like Tarantino went a little over board with the dialogue in a few scenes. But thats his schtick, so...

Cant wait for the DVD and I might even go check it out again at the theater. I cant fathom why its not doing well at the box office. I think most people just dont "get it". The theater I went to had a sign outside explaining why it looks like it does (scratchy, jumpy, etc.), and that the films really arent "missing reels" (it says that in the movies). How stupid do people realy have to be? I mean, if you go to the theater to see the movie, it seems you would know what its about, right?

One more thing. Teany tiny spoiler here. The "missing reel" in Death Proof right when the lap top was coming... DAMN YOU TARANTINO!!!!!! I was licking my lips waiting for that scene. Maybe on the DVD though....

17. Keebler macrumors 68030

i think it was fantastic. it paid homage to the old 'grindhouse' type flicks. the main reason why folks don't like it is because we've had 3'ish decades of cinema which included better plot lines, better acting and better visuals. ppl forget that type of movie was popular and not as funny b/c it wasn't supposed to be funny.

i laughed hysterically throughout PT. especially Tarantino's wannabe rape scene (not b/c it was going to be a rape btw...b/c of what happened :) lol

grindhouse hits the nail right on the head. it is exactly what it's supposed to be.

i agree there was alot of dialog in DP, but i actually didn't mind it. actually thought it was great for the movie. i think most folks didn't want the dialog b/c they were ramped up from PT :) and i loved Kurt Russell's character. starts out as a maniac, but then you see why he never made it as a stuntman :)

18. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

They had actual signs outside the theater, explaining that yes, the film is supposed to look scratchy, jumpy, have bad splices and breaks, etc? I can't say I'm terribly shocked. I once read that when "Ed Wood" was in theaters, a few lost souls went to the theater managers, demanding to know why they turned off the color. That could be "urban myth" type stuff, but it's probably true.

I suspect Grind House will be a far bigger hit on DVD. Anyone hear anything about "Machete", being included in the DVD set?

Heh, I wonder if anyone actually went outside, and looked for the nasty looking restaurants that were "advertised" between the movies?

19. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

i really liked it. i was visiting a friend in austin,
    so it made it extra nice to watch it at the Alamo theater..

20. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I walked out after the first movie. Wanted to walk out sooner actually, but decided to give it a chance. This was the first time I've ever walked out of a movie theatre during a movie as well.

21. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Cool. In Death Proof they drove right by the Alamo House. There were so many references and hints at other things through these 2 movies I couldnt keep up with them.

Of course there were the Red Apple cigarrettes as usual. And the upholstery in the girls car in the beginning of death proof was the same as in the Pus*y Wagon in Kill Bill. There were a ton more... Anyone else want to join in on the hidden references game?