So what do I need to make sure of?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nlivo, Oct 29, 2007.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

So I am going to get leopard soon but I need to make sure of some things....I am going to do a (I have forgotten the name) install where it wipes the whole computer before-hand. My iMac g5 I got at the end of 2005 is showing signs of old age. I just need to make sure of some things because i am a Newbie to upgrading OS's. iLife? My imac came with iLife '05. Will that be there once I'm done? If not, how do I install it again? I was also wondering about iPods, I have an old 2nd gen 40gb iPod, could I put all my documents on that and then easily just plug it in after upgrading and transfer them back?? Am I missing anything else? iWork will be easy to install because I still ha e the DVD of it. Thanks.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If you're going to do a clean wipe, then no your iLife will not still be there. You'll have to an' optional items' install from the system disks your machine came with.

If you don't want to go through that, do an Archive & Install, which will replace the operating system but leave your apps intact. There might be the odd thing that you need to re-install, but most stuff should work right away.

Using your iPod for backup makes perfect sense to me btw :)

3. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, archive and install isn't really an option. My iMac shut down 3 times yesterday for no reason. This is very "un-apple". So would there be any other way I could have iLife whilst still having a clean install?? I'm guessing just dragging the apps onto an external hd wouldnt work.

4. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a