So what do you think about new Retina MBP? Is it the future?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comatory, Jul 3, 2012.

?

Will it take two more years for the Mac line-up to adopt the new features?

1. Two years sounds like a realistic estimate.

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. It will be sooner.

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. It will be way later.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

There's a lot of talk naturally about new Retina Macbooks. In many aspects, it feels like 2008 when the original Air was introduced. The price is even higher (the original Air was $1800) and there's outcry from some folks because of the design compromises - especially the non-replacable parts.

Me personally, I love it and it's a laptop I dreamed about, I was even happier to hear that it has two TB ports which means the one port can always be used for connecting legacy hardware (FW, Gigabit Ethernet) - which in my humble opinion is a solution to most of the "problems" to a lot of people.

I wanted to ask you: Do you think that Retina Macbook will have the same fate as Macbook Air? There could be two years where this product is treated as premium and after that period we could see the same transformation of the rest of the Mac line. Or do you think this change will occur sooner, while maintaining adequate price points?

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think that the Retina MBP may drop in price slightly, but mostly it will gain features/specs at its current price point.

The 15" Macbook Pro (and PowerBook before it) has hovered around $1999 for a long time, at least 6 years. Exceptions to that were a 2009 model with no dedicated GPU and in 2011 when they dropped the entry level model with GPU to $1799.

I think that's a price bracket Apple wants to keep the 15" in.

There will probably be a 13" RMBP, either this fall or next summer with Haswell. I doubt that the Airs will get Retina displays for a while because of cost and battery life.

3. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

4. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Actually the colour saturation will be 30% better.

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

It wont drop in price any time soon. They are selling like hot cakes for a £1799 computer.

6. comatory thread starter macrumors 6502a

comatory

No probably not, it's gonna be premium product for some time, but that was Air as well and now it's the Apple mainstream laptop - much like white macbooks used to be.