Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
The only thing I do not like about iMessage is it as not as unified across platforms as I expected. If a friend sends you a message from his phone, then from his iPad, it shows up as 2 different messages even if you have his information all stored under the same contact. It can just get a little confusing dealing with 2 different messages for the same person.

This could just be an unreal expectation on my part. I guess it makes sense to have it separated by devices so you know where the message is actually coming from. No sense sending a message to a friend's phone if he's messaging you from an iPad. Then again you could just send it to the persons email address and it would go to both devices. Lots of options to think about.

Agreed, that's a pain... but here's a solution.

If you go into Settings > Messages on your phone, you can change Caller ID to your iCloud address. That way, any iMessage sent from your phone will go out via your iCloud, so it will be unified between your phone and iPad. That way, your phone and iPad will both get every message when someone responds to that.

tockus

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
All of the messages I send through I message are being sent, and then around 20 seconds later, it sends the message again by text... not so good when I was texting people around the world?!?! I've now switched the option off to send by text, but iMessage seems to always fail?! I'm using a 3Gs

Any ideas?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
If I understand iMessage correctly, text to other than iPhones count towards your cell text plan. And since I only have AT&T's 200 text message plan, I could inadvertently end up costing me money.

So at this point I might as well keep using my free text app, TextFree Voice.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
Just sussed out how to get the ipad iPhone syncing so you can carry on a conversation all you have to do is

slide everything to on in the iMessage settings on all devices

Been sitting here sending messages to my sons iPod this is the only configuration i can get to work over all three devices

I can't figure out how to get to iMessage settings?

----------

If you go into Settings > Messages on your phone, you can change Caller ID to your iCloud address. That way, any iMessage sent from your phone will go out via your iCloud, so it will be unified between your phone and iPad. That way, your phone and iPad will both get every message when someone responds to that.

Not got that option. Caller ID is in settings>phone, but options are only to display on/off

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
What's app is still more useful since not EVERYONE in the world has an iPhone. From iOS device to iOS it's great, but on other platforms, useless.

Now if they were able to integrate this with iChat, it would be awesome.

Hey!

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Not bad for me, havent really tried using it on frequent usage with friends yet since ios5 just came out today, many friends too busy to update, it'll be cool if apple somehow partners up with RIM and that makes it such that it can communicate across the 2 system, but I know that will never happen though, that will just make Apple indirectly telling rest of the world, " Hey! We copied RIM's idea and now we are trying to partner up with them so people don't call us copycats"

munch2112

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Devon, UK
It would be much better if people stopped downloading iMessenger app in the app store and actually used the SMS app to use iMessage!

D'oh!!! :(

Corey Grandy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
If I understand iMessage correctly, text to other than iPhones count towards your cell text plan. And since I only have AT&T's 200 text message plan, I could inadvertently end up costing me money.

So at this point I might as well keep using my free text app, TextFree Voice.

Yes. But, I fail to see how iMessage will end up costing you money.

Prior to yesterday, if you were texting someone, you were whittling away at your overall 200. As of now, if anyone has an iPhone it will not affect that 200 if you send them a message. And, as long as you have "send as SMS" in the event of failure turned off, it never will.

iMessage uses only your data allowance. Which, if you have, 500mb for instance, is still a multitude of iMessages. A regular, text-based iMessage is no larger than a few kb, from what I'm told. So unless you're iMessaging pictures and the like, it probably won't affect you in a noticeable way.

brkaus

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I pretty much only SMS folks with iphones so I like it. My android friends I have always called.

Good -
- shows delivered/read (if configured)
- shows when someone is typing a reply
- fast!

Strange -
- I tried iMessaging my friend who also upgraded phone. It was showing SMS/MMS for me. When they sent me a message (I showed up iMessage for them) it changed mine over to imessage. Not sure how it decides? When on the ipad and I put in a number it shows an icon thinking about it. Could this be related to using a contact list from google through exchange?

Bad -
- It should work in airplane mode if wifi is turned on?
- The options should be a bit more clear - Does one need to enable "Send As SMS" to send to non iMessage folks? Or is only as an iMessage fallback?

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
It would be nice if AT&T still offered the 1000/$10 texting plan. But no, they had to screw everyone by going only unlimited. A lot of people I text have iPhones, but I still need some SMS...

So pissed off by that.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It's not a messaging client basically. It's an attempt to replace SMS. But all it has going for it as an SMS replacement is that it's cheaper in the limited number of cases where a phone operator charges a lot for SMS but has a robust cheap data network. That only (even then, arguably) happens in the US. Virtually everywhere else SMS is included in the bill and unlimited or near unlimited. Read receipts are possible with SMS. International charges vary wildly, but might present some limited use.

Meanwhile you've got a system that has a number of disadvantages -

1) Establishing a data connection to a cell tower and transmitting data is, no matter how little data, intrinsically more battery draining than sending an SMS, which is hidden inside the base station ping as part of the GSM specification.
2) Likewise, said difference means that an SMS will work in a much poorer signal area than any data connection will.
3) Likewise, capacity from the network tower in busy areas will cope much better with many SMS being sent than lots of people trying to send mobile data at once.
4) Cross platform interoperability is a massive selling point.
5) SMS is a relatively distributed system, compared to iMessage which has a single point of failure - Apple. As Blackberry users are learning today as they sit with devices best described as paperweights, that's not good news.

Phazer

eXpress

macrumors member
May 20, 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm assuming that if I change the Caller ID, anytime I send someone a message afterward it will not show up under my contact name unless they have that address stored in my contact name. Initial hassle for my friends I guess, but more useful in the end. I think Apple could have thought this all out a little better, but at least there are solutions

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Getting a mac.com or me.com address is free. Everyone in your family can have one and they are easier to remember than phone numbers. You can make it easier by trying to register using your family's name, such as smith1, smith2, smith3, smith4 and so on

I have a question.

I have 5+ devices tied to my one iTunes account.

My phone, my wife's phone, my daughter's touch, and 2 iPads.

My wife's phone is a 3GS and we are all running iOS5.

Now, if I send her a message via her phone number, it will go through AT&T SMS?

If I send a text to my apple ID, it will show up on all my devices?

That seems like a wonky way to handle it.

Unless I am missing something.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Everyone i know has either an Android phone, or a Jailbroken iOS device on an old firmware and refuses to update. So for me iMessage is like FaceTime the sequel; An icon that wont be touched on my homescreen, unfortunately.

Icon that won't be touched? Do you never intend on texting?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I pretty much only SMS folks with iphones so I like it. My android friends I have always called.

Good -
- shows delivered/read (if configured)
- shows when someone is typing a reply
- fast!

Strange -
- I tried iMessaging my friend who also upgraded phone. It was showing SMS/MMS for me. When they sent me a message (I showed up iMessage for them) it changed mine over to imessage. Not sure how it decides? When on the ipad and I put in a number it shows an icon thinking about it. Could this be related to using a contact list from google through exchange?

Bad -
- It should work in airplane mode if wifi is turned on?
- The options should be a bit more clear - Does one need to enable "Send As SMS" to send to non iMessage folks? Or is only as an iMessage fallback?

I also don't get the send as SMS function. I guess the iMessage servers can be down just like WhatsApp.

Also, how does it decide when it uses iMessage? I have a 6GB data plan and I want to force iMessage use. I was texting a buddy and it was using iMessage the whole time. Then suddenly I realized that a couple of messages were sent as SMS?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Yes. But, I fail to see how iMessage will end up costing you money.
If I text someone that doesn't have an iPhone, then it was my understanding that my outgoing text counts against my cell texting plan. And if I'm over my 200 text limit, then that text will ultimately cost me money.

Or are you saying that all outgoing texts with iMessage are free, no matter the platform, and only incoming text from non iPhone's count against my text plan?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Or are you saying that all outgoing texts with iMessage are free, no matter the platform, and only incoming text from non iPhone's count against my text plan?

Exactly. You can tell they are going out over iMessage vs. SMS because they are blue.

Edit: By platform I mean iOS device. iPod touch, iPhone, iPad... all free texts from iMessage to iMessage.

Last edited:

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Exactly. You can tell they are going out over iMessage vs. SMS because they are blue.
Okay I understand now, thanks.

I guess that saves texts on the cell plan, but still not as good as using the TextFree Voice app.

Still think the service providers need to include an unlimited text plan as part of our regular cell plan bill, instead of charging extra to text. They have been gouging consumers long enough over this. Bad enough the voice portion of the plan is still outrageously overpriced.

Better yet, offer me a data only plan for smart phones. With that I could still make phone calls using voice apps.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I guess it will get better...but for now after scrolling through all my contacts I only have one friend that has a blue chat bubble by their name...I texted her yesterday after we both updated our iPads...we both have iPhones but she didn't update the phone. so my only gripe would be having two conversations with the same person. I started a conversation from my phone as text and then I tried from my iPad...maybe eventually all the kinks will get worked out and it will fix the multiple conversations. I have unlimited text but I have lots of friends who don't and they own some sort of idevice. great idea!

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I guess it will get better...but for now after scrolling through all my contacts I only have one friend that has a blue chat bubble by their name...

Was this in the Contacts app? I have a couple of friends with whom I've used iMessage and when I send a new message the recipient entry field will display a blue chat bubble next to whatever contact information has been confirmed to be "iMessage-ready", however I'm not seeing any indicators in my Contacts.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Okay so I'm trying to setup iMessage on my iPad. I entered my email address and it's telling me "Unable to verify email because it is already in use". Well of course it is because it's my main email and the one I use for iTunes email. Why can't I use that address?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
its pretty cool. now i need all of my contact to get iPhones and iOS 5. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.