So what does it mean that FaceTime "is an open industry standard?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CJayC, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

As in, other manufacturers/companies can implement the protocol in their phones, and hopefully create a larger user base than just iPhone to iPhone. Hopefully in the future other phones will integrate front facing cameras (like the Evo) and we'll all be able to have "FaceTime".

If any other company had made this standard, I wouldn't expect it to go very far...but this is Apple we're talking about, and they have a pretty big influence in the industry.

2. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

So that DOESN'T mean that developers don't have an API to implement this in their apps?

3. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Could point, are we going to see "chat" apps that use the front facing camera in the app store?

If so I give it a month before chat roullette.

4. iSkier macrumors regular

Haha Apple would reject chat roulette sooooo fast. I'm hoping for Skype to add a video chat capability.

5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I don't think there's any way of knowing until Apple says so themselves. However, I think if they were going to allow it then people would have seen API's referencing to this, so I think it is doubtful.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Why would they?

They approved 'Photoswap' which is the EXACT same thing but with still photos.

So what would their problem with chat roulette be?

People were finding clues about this back in the iPad software. So I think it's reasonable to assume it's coming.

7. jtara macrumors 65816

Ouch. My brain hurts. Can you pre-parse the double-negatives?

All it means is that Apple is publishing the specifications under some sort of open-use license (or else putting the specs in the public domain).

Anybody else is free to implement the system on another platform, and it should be able to inter-operate.

This doesn't imply that Apple is providing any tools (such as an API) for anybody else to use in implementation.

8. aluren macrumors 65816

I hope we can get online video chats through MSN or skype.

9. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

HAHAHAH!!! But after 3 failures I've given up... all that ever comes up is a bunch of horny penis' and no chicks! *sigh*

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

11. ODog4523 macrumors regular

ODog4523

Agreed.

12. frosse macrumors 6502a

13. EHOLT macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The end of the keynote said that by the end of the year there will be over 10 million FaceTime devices. I'm guessing you'll be able to talk with people via iChat.