So, what does MobileME for on an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rated, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Rated macrumors member

I am a MobileMe Customer, and I am curious to how this will effect performance, and experience on my iPhone?

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

The only real effect you would have is battery life if you turn on Push for your MobileMe account.

Would recommend this on if you are using Find my iPhone feature.

3. Rated thread starter macrumors member

4. elan123 macrumors 6502

Not sure, MobileME is pretty damn awesome tho... but I use an android for now.

5. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

If you have MobileMe, it makes sense to use all of its features since you probably paid for it, right? ;)

I've been using MobileMe since it launched and it's a very reliable service. I never have any problems with Push e-mail, calendars, etc. There is no performance hit, though enabling Push e-mail will use slightly more battery. Of course, you gain the ability to have e-mail sent to you immediately, which is very nice. Calendar and contact syncing is also nice because if you make a change on one device, it also changes on your other devices. And it's stored in the cloud in case you ever lose them on one of your devices. And of course, you also get the Gallery and iDisk, etc.

Every time I read about an outage or downtime with Google's Gmail, I keep smiling because I can't remember the last time MobileMe wasn't working.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like MobileMe very much. It seamlessly keeps my iPhone and macs in sync with each other. I highly recommend it.

7. Rated thread starter macrumors member

Thank You! :)

So basically, If I make a change right now on my iPhone calender, it will be effective on my mac?

8. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

No difference in performance other than I now get synched calendars and contacts. Maybe a very, very tiny negligible effect on battery life, but probably nothing you would notice at all.

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Yup.

10. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's exactly what will happen. My wife and I use it to keep in synch with our family calendar, so no matter whether she pulls up the calendar on our Mac, her phone or my phone, they're all the same. Very useful.

11. Rated thread starter macrumors member

12. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Both. When you update on your phone, it get pushed to the cloud (me.com) and then pushed down to your Mac and any other device you have set to sync.

13. Rated thread starter macrumors member

14. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Google will sync email, calendar, and contacts for free. Of course there are some people who believe a skinny Google employee will go through and read all your emails but whatever.

Dropbox will do the file sharing portion of Mobile Me for free.

Find my iPhone and remote wipe are now free from Apple.

I really can see no reason to pay $99 a year for this service.

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Sorry but Google sync is a joke compared to MobileMe. The only reason people praise it, is it's free. Free does not mean it's better.

Dropbox is nice yes.

If you're paying $99 a year for MobileMe, you're paying too much. Try $40 bucks a year.

16. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Care to expand on this? I'm curious.

17. Jack105 macrumors member

I downloaded Findmyphone and it wanted to me to enter my Mobileme info. Can I bypass this? Otherwise it may be free for the app but not for the service.

18. zenio macrumors 6502

I use MobileMe a lot. The service & functionality are excellent.

The only negative is the extreme price of $100 annually. I know you can find it for a bit less, but a company as prestigious as Apple should price it lower.

Unfortunately they cannot help themselves as they are simply addicted to massive profit margins on their products.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm happy to pay the $9/month to have my data synced between all of my devices.

20. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Me too. I've been using both and have not had any problems with Google. I've seen no "me" advantage. :eek:

21. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Just depends on the person. To me MobileME is worth it.

22. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I love it for email and I also host my site on it!

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're welcome to your opinion but I think that calling $8.25 a month "extreme" is a little over the top.

24. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I'd like to hear this too.