So what does the SDK mean for unlockers and jailbreakers?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by groove-agent, Mar 7, 2008.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

After watching the SDK roadmap video from Apple it seems a no-brainer that jailbreaking is no longer necessary since native apps will run on the iphone and most developers will want to switch over so that they get paid. With this new infrastructure in place, I can only begin to fathom the mass amount of apps that will spew from the app store. I, and i'm sure many other users with unlocked/jailbroken iPhones will want to tap into this resource.

Is it reasonable to assume that when 2.0 comes out, we'll have to wait until someone figures out to unlock it. We'll update our phones to 2.0, and then unlock it, since jailbreaking will be redundant assuming that all of our current apps are reproduced via the appstore.

Heck, my unlocked iPhone is already running on Roger's / AT&T, but who knows when the iPhone will come to Canada. Also, I'm completely uninterested in a slow data plan.

2. igglepuff macrumors regular

If yiu ran an ipsf-style unlock you may be lucky when 2.0 comes and it will survive it, as it has all other updates, as far as unlocking. regarding teh apps, jailbreaking may will be needed for some people depending what you want to do, ie to get ssh onto the phone or any apps apple doesn't authorize for distribution form teh store, as it is the only way to get programs onto the phone