So what exactly voids a warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scorch07, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Yeah I know, risky question. Here's the problem.

Apparently somebody, somewhere did not know my MBP was in my backpack and must've dropped it somewhere or something when I wasn't paying attention. I've never dropped the thing (I baby it like crazy) but now the bottom right corner is oh so slightly pushed in. No idea how it happened but it's there. Unfortunately it is just enough that the bottom of the case pushed out just a tad, so it won't sit flat any more and wobbles. INCREDIBLY annoying on a computer I've had all of two months.

Thing is, if I just opened up the bottom, I feel like I could get everything back to normal really easily. It's literally millimeters off, it's just barely enough to make the bottom push out. Taking that bottom off at all voids the warranty though right? I definitely don't want to do that.

Any other suggestions?

2. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

They won't fix it... but they might ignore it and keep the warranty on the internal parts.

3. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

No I know they won't fix it. I already went by the Apple store. He noted that everything else is fine and said they would still cover internals in the future, so it was wort the trip in my mind anyway. I'm just asking if I just take the bottom panel off, nothing else, if that would void the warranty. Basically I'm asking if it has one of those seals that it would break.

4. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

If you mess with the case in any way- as in it looks like the screws were played with it will probably void the warranty. Call 1-800-my-apple and ask them specifics about it.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You can take the bottom panel off and update memory and the HDD, it is in you OWNER's MANUAL.

If it is the bottom panel that is damaged, you can likely replace it when you upgrade the memory.

Apple has had a long history of customer removable panels that can get damaged, and people have replaced them. Heck sometimes they ordered them in batches of 10.

6. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think the bottom panel is damaged at all, it's just being pushed out a hair by the side, which is pushed in. Best I can tell, if I could manage to tap the side out just a few millimeters the bottom could set back in like normal. Of course, I don't know how much stuff would be in the way. I'd just have to look and see.

7. NJuul macrumors 6502

As said, you can take the bottom off without voiding your warranty, so just go for it. Also, what have you got to loose? If it is annoying to use because of the dent, fix it.

8. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I have the bottom off, and the hard drive out. The dent is actually on the corner with the hard drive, so I have it completely open where it is. I'm discovering that this is some surprisingly tough metal though. I've tapped it pretty good with a plastic-ended hammer with some cloth in between and it's not moving much if at all. Obviously I don't want to hit it and jolt the rest of the computer very much.