So What Gives...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oldimac, Jan 30, 2008.

1. oldimac macrumors regular

If you buy an iPhone today, can it be used on T-Mobile and how do you do it?

Anyone?

Please, answers! :confused:

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

3. stekerrod macrumors regular

basically iPhone is locked to a network.....AT&T in the U.S, o2 in the UK, Orange in France and T Mobile in Germany.....and its only available on certain price plans.....but you can get a software 'hack' that unlocks the phone to be used with any sim card, but this voids the warranty and you wont get any help from apple if it goes wrong!

hope thats some help! (and regulars dont slate me if ive missed something!)

4. oldimac thread starter macrumors regular

And to the two who replied, please believe me I appreciate your posts. However, that was basic information that I was able to glean as well but what do you actually have to do?

I have been reading this forum since June but with the ORIGINAL phone you could do this or that and then with 1.1.1 you could do this or that and then with the 1.1.2 phone you could do this or that and finally, now with the 1.1.3 phone you can or can't do this or that :D

Very confusing at least to me so.....

Can anyone just out and out tell me what it takes to buy an iPhone today and get it to work with a T-Mobile account OR can you even do it with the 1.1.3 because I am very confused and I have yet to find one place that will tell you what needs to be done. Can anyone explain this in one place?

Thanks much for any help!!!

5. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

if you buy an iPhone today is should have firmware 1.1.3 which has not been natively jailbroken or unlocked. You have have to have a phone from the previous firmware.

of course this information may be a few days old and could have changed quite recently.

6. dsgalit macrumors member

Ok with the new firmware the only thing you can do right now is downgrade, meaning jailbreak it!!! You CAN NOT unlock this version of firmware as of yet (1.1.3). So, no you cant use any other simcard except AT&T!!!!!!!!!

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

everyone i know who had a jailbroken / unlocked iphone now has a legit one, too many problems, and usually not enough data, save ya self a world of hastle and enjoy the iphone te way it was intended.

8. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

This proverb keeps floating through my mind.. with my apologies..

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Try the iPhone Hacks and Apps forum for starters. Lots of good resources out there to draw from, but you've got to do your own legwork and make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into.

9. oldimac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

The problem is that I don't have AT&T, hence, no iPhone legally. Have read where a lot of people have jailbroken their phones and gone to T-Mobile so was hoping there was a way to do it. I have T-Mobile where I live out in the boondocks and evidently from the other threads there must be a lot of people in my boat if 25% or so of the iPhones sold in the US are not registered with AT&T.

I appreciate the advice. I guess I am stuck with Verizon and a Blackberry or something.

I'll just keep watching the forums and hope that maybe something will change after the SDK comes out OR not or a new phone is released :(

Damn, damn, damn! :D

10. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Keep at it, it's doable and it's being done every day!

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

There is no simple one-click app to unlock the phone. Be prepared for a lot of work and following instructions.

12. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

ebay?

I hear there's some 1.1.1 iphones on ebay? That would make it easy on you

EDIT: Yes, there are 1.1.1 & 1.1.2 iphones on ebay. bid and hack at own risk, but certainly an option!