So what happened with Split-Screen Multitasking in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Dulcimer, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Anyone recall this article?: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/09/ios-8-code-ipad-multitasking/

It was speculated that an 8.1 update could introduce split-screen multitasking to the iPad, so perhaps we'll see it mentioned at the October event. If it does happen, do you think they'll include iPhone 6 Plus support? Or maybe we won't see any of this until iOS 9…

2. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Wish this feature was available for the iPad now would be so handy.

Maybe they are saving the feature for the rumoured "iPad Pro" :D

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I agree. First they want us to get used to the iPad like user interface on the smaller 6+ screen, and then they will introduce split screen multitasking in the next iPad update.

4. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

That seems like the likely tactic. They'll add something new (and useful) to the iPad with split-screen multitasking to make it more of a productivity tool. Not as sure about 6 Plus, though.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

No I don't see the 6 plus getting split screen multitasking (at least not in this first iteration). I think this will be a major selling point of the newest iPad, I'm not sure they will even give the older generation iPads the ability, if they add the ability at all. All speculation but I would love to see at least a controlled split screen multitasking come to the iPad, even if it's only with Apple apps at first, which sort of seems how Apple does things these days.

6. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I will come with iOS 9 when next years devices have 2 GB RAM.

It simply would be difficult to implement with current gen devices.

7. MikeyMike01 macrumors 6502

What a bunch of hooey. 1 GB is enough to do multitasking.

8. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

It depends on the apps you're running and what documents/websites you have loaded. I've run into plenty of usage scenarios where 1 GB was not enough to cleanly switch between two apps without a reload.

To me it's clear Apple won't do split screen until an iPad with more RAM is released.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

The iPad Air 2 is rumored to get 2 gb of ram, so common sense says it will get true multitasking.

10. smizzle macrumors regular

smizzle

I bet they are waiting to announce it with the new iPads. I still think it will be part of iOS 8 though. They have done similar things in the past... I remember having to wait for iOS 4.2 to get multitasking on iPad even though it was already available on the iPhone.

11. Altis macrumors 68020

If that logic is true, then everyone criticizing Apple for sticking with 1GB of RAM will be right. If 2GB is needed, then all these recent devices will already be struggling with an issue that could so easily have been avoided.

Not that I disagree with you... You may very well be right.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Given that it has never been it really can't have 'happened'

it's a rumor nothing more. We might never see it given that Apple doesn't have to do it, no matter what folks around here might say

----------

given the number of businesses etc that use the iPad as it is just now, I don't see them adding a feature that a fair majority would never use just for a small cut of folks that are just as productive without it.

remember this is a tablet, not a computer. If you need multiple apps up on the screen to be productive then you likely also need a 'real' processor and a physical keyboard. so get a dang computer and be done with it

----------

it might get 2 GB of ram, it might not. It might get 'true multitasking', it might not. No matter who much ram it has.

13. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Will you cook me breakfast too in the bundle deal!? You should bring the iOSX alpha version while you're at it. Chop chop!

14. 1968 macrumors regular

You answered your own question.

15. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

It sounded funnier when I read that aloud in Brit accent.

Jokes aside, I think the current 1 GB of RAM in iPhone 6 models will definitely make them less future proof. You already know it that 64 bit causes increased RAM usage. So when 6+ resolution is full 1080p, it's condition will be similar to iPad Air with constant Safari tab reloads and App refresh.

If somehow none of the new iPhone 6 face any of the problems mentioned above, then Apple is clearly shafting current iPhone 5S and iPad Air users with their planned obsolescence strategy.

I am personally going to skip 6 and 6+ because of low RAM. I have iPad Air and the experience on newer iPhones will most likely be the same.

It is also surprising that none of the initial reviews are mentioning about whether Safari tabs or other apps are refreshing when switched to. Maybe the reviewers had their reviews rushed to meet the deadline.

Hopefully from iPad Air 2 onwards, we will get 2 GB. All eyes on iPhone 6S+

16. MaximProleskovs macrumors newbie

Of course it is possible to handle splitscreen with 1 GB Ram. There is a jailbreak tweak called os "os experience" ant it works great even with more then 2 apps.

17. Razeus macrumors 603

Sounds like an iOS 9 feature.

It probably got dropped last minute like half the iOS 8 updates anyway.

18. DLAROC macrumors newbie

I think it will be on the 6 Plus because it's competing with the Note 4 and that has split screen. I don't think Apple will pass up that opportunity if it is coming to tablets. The phablet will get it also.

----------

Split screen has been done on the iPad with only half a Gb of RAM (iPad 2)! Long before iOSExperience, there was a tweak called Quasar which was way better than Experience IMO. With Quasar, you just pinch and move apps where ever you want and tap the x at the corner to close. You could have as many windows (apps) open as you wanted too. I purchased Experience and it works but Quasar was way simpler and easier to use.

19. Billy95Tech Suspended

I really hope IOS 9 will have split sceen for Ipad Air 2, it would be great and very helpful/usefull! :)