So what happens after September 30th?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amarcus, Jul 16, 2010.

1. amarcus macrumors 6502

I'm going to do something I rarely do and make some bold predictions and give you my reasoning behind my thinking.

1) Apple will silently release a hardware fix for all new iPhone 4's on or slightly beyond this date. I imagine this will be in the form of a new coating. Simple logic, no more free bumpers implies no more antenna problem right?

2) Apple will distract the public from this change by coinciding it with a refresh of the iPhone 4's bringing doubled storage capacities. This is entirely feasible given that they didn't bump the storage this generation and that the technology is readily accessible. I imagine Apple had always planned to release new iPhones around this time.

3) The new iPhone refresh will also coincide with new iPod's and the release of iOS4.1 complete with the new Game Center. All of these announcements will hopefully help hide the subtle antenna tweaks.

Bonus: 4) iOS4.1 will finally bring about the unification of both the iPad and iPhone operating systems.

So what are everyone elses views on this?

Adam

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

1) I think that SJ said that they would look at things again then. He also basically flat out said that hardware for the iphone 4 will not be changing.

2) Apple has never done a mid year revision to the iPhone so I doubt they will start this year despite the issue at hand.

3) See 2, no new iphone is likely but 4.1 coming with new ipod touch and ipad update could be likely.

3. amarcus thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the original iPhone with the release of the 16GB model hmmm?

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

5) the iPhone 4 will come with a piece of duct tape over the antenna; of course the tape will have an Apple logo on it to keep the fans happy.

5. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

You are correct. I was late to the first gen party and picked up a 16gig so it didn't come across my mind. ;)

6. draz macrumors 6502a

The first rule of September 30th... is we do not speak of September 30th

or just include Bumpers inside all the iPhone4 boxes

7. hipvamore macrumors regular

we're not going to know until then...i mean it was just first spoken of today. now we just have to wait

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

On that date, people will buy the phone knowing all its issues, and resume bitching and whining in order to get free stuff.

9. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

10. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Someone addressed this in another thread with an answer that made a lot of sense...

By ending this program Sept. 30 they're preventing the losses from spilling into the next financial quarter. Basically it's a way for them to protect their numbers as a company.

This quarter's earnings will look fantastic anyway, because they launched a new product. If they let this program extend into the next quarter without the launch to offset its impact, it could potentially make their Q4 numbers look worse than normal.

I know nothing about business, but it seems logical enough.

So chances are it has absolutely nothing to do with a fix.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I will enjoy my iP4 until then, so much so that I don't care that 9.30 comes and goes. I will be looking forward to 4.x on my iPad simply b/c I want folders for the iPad more than multitasking or any other 4.0 feature.

I will then try to gauge the best time to sell my 64GB WiFi iPad in the event that iPad 2.0 gets a FaceTime camera.

12. jamjon macrumors newbie

all these conspiracy theories :D

perhaps we are loking too much into this..

as others have posted - it is the end of the fiscal quarter.

Also, SJ said that there is no way they could make enough bumpers "this quarter" - so they are "sourcing" alternative cases.

Even if these alternative cases are poor quality they could well be costing Apple more per unit than it costs to make their bumpers (some have estimated $1) and then having post them to everyone who has bought an iphone.

Perhaps they anticipate that by end of September they will have enough bumpers to be able to continue giving a free one with every new iphone sold - hence only adding $1 to manufacturing costs per unit - a hell of a lot cheaper than a hardware re-design ....

this could well be a simple case of waiting for bumper supply to catch up to future demand

just a thought :)

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

1. Silent revision that retains the current iPhone 4's dimensions.

2. Include a black or white Bumper in the retail box depending on which iPhone 4 you purchase (black for black, white for white).

I think it wouldn't seem "Apple" to give customers cases separately when they purchase an iPhone, so including a Bumper in the retail box seems likely.

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

OMG nothing.

Why do people keep misreading and misunderstanding everything Apple says.

It is like comprehension is essentially non-existent.

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

How funny... :)

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

To the topic... I believe this was the defining moment yesterday. Essentially Jobs was admitting that yesterdays press conference was nothing more than a trial balloon to see what Apple could get away with.

By setting a date, Steve was admitting this is far from over. Apple is still undecided, and is testing us to see if they will be forced to take responsibility.

Yesterday was another typical example of Apple finger pointing. Acting like a victim, they bring out other phones to divert attention from the real problem. It's not working, yet Apple continues to dig in their heels.

This movie is far from over. To use the words of the CEO himself "stay tuned" he's not out of the hot seat yet.

17. anomie Suspended

WTF, that´s paranoia! How can anyone have such confused thoughts on this?They brought other phones to remind ignorant people like you that the bars drop on these phones, too. And nobody never ever lost a word about it.
    I´d hoped they don´t give free bumpers. Next time they surely will calculate a blown up hype like this into the iphone price, making it more expensive for all the happy customers that don´t spend their day holding their finger at the antenna too see some bars dropping.

18. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

iPhone 4x. All early adopters will be told to suck by Sir Jobso!