So what happens to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Steve-M, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Steve-M macrumors regular

Just curious, will Apple continue to support Leopard now that Snow Leopard is out?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I guess they will, for awhile at least.
    They will still apply security patches, but don't expect any big improvements.
    Leopard is kinda old and I guess most problems have been ironed out.

SL is a really cheap upgrade, so only PPC users should have to remain using 10.5.x

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Good question. You would hope that they support it for at least another year or so since all their PPC users cannot use Snow Leopard, but I don't know. Apple doesn't show a lot of care when it comes to those sorts of things. It's all about the new new new! I imagine they will keep support for a short while yet before giving it a swift kick in its un-snowy big cat arse.

This is totally a guess.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

We take it out back and shoot it.
    *runs from PETA*

Really, I think Blue is right, no one knows but the hope is there will be support for at least another year. I don't like that they dropped PPC support when many PPC machines are cranking away just fine today.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ indeed.

this post is brought to you today by a 1.5 Ghz G4 powerbook, with leopard. :)

6. Steve-M thread starter macrumors regular

So maybe a year or so on security updates? Thats not to bad I guess. Thanks for the replies :)

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

They supported Tiger right up until the release of SL, so I suspect that Leopard will remain supported until 10.7 comes out.

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Tiger got about 22 months, which is a travesty.