So, what if size mattered....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JustMartin, Jul 3, 2012.

1. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

ok - it's been discussed ad-infinitum. Most of us are pretty sure that a 27" retina iMac is not a likely addition to this year's lineup. But, what if they did the same as they did with the MBPro range and added a single retina iMac with a screen that was practical and affordable. How small would you go to get that extra resolution and what would you sacrifice for it?

For example would a 17" retina display be tempting? Would you rather have that than a 24" regular resolution? What about a 21" retina versus 27" regular?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not one bit. I have a 27" and there is simply no accounting for the real estate...My next upgrade will hopefully be a Pro anyway, although my maxed out iMac is no slouch. I doubt that we will see a retina iMac for some time.

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I would prefer a 27" iMac to a 21" retina iMac since I need more usable display real estate.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Nice theorizing OP and I'm inclined to agree. Though I don't think Apple would dip below 21.5" going forward, as they've seemed to have set a standard for their iMac sizes.

That said, I own a 21.5" myself and would love to upgrade to a retina 21.5". I also believe if they introduce only one single redesigned retina iMac, it would most likely be the 21.5".

5. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I doubt the iMac will every go back to 17" no matter how good the screen, but I get your point. Maybe they'll intro a 24" iMac with retina display. Bigger than the small one but will higher res screen than the 27"?

6. JustMartin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I own a 20" 2007 model and have been thinking about a 27" when it comes to upgrading. But, if they introduced a 21.5" retina, then it could be a tough decision. I always thought I wanted more real estate, but on the other hand, the increased quality with only a slightly larger screen could also be tempting.