So what is it called? 3? 2S?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by burnout8488, Mar 7, 2012.

1. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

"The new iPad" is all over the site. Will they release the actual name on the 16th, anyone think?

2. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I've got a thought.

Anyone think they're trying to go with a naming scheme similar to the Macs?

They could revert to simply calling it iPad again...but it would be the "Early 2012" revision to those who keep track. (Wikipedia, MacRumors...etc)

No numbers, no letters, no nonsense. There isn't an iMac 2 or iMac 3. I think this would be a good way to go about it.

3. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

My order confirmation says, "3rd generation."

4. oli356 macrumors 6502

5. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where did you read this?

3rd Generation makes sense, but I haven't seen "iPad 3" anywhere from Apple yet. Could just be my lack of scouring, though.

6. oli356 macrumors 6502

The store says 3rd gen.. So I presume that's what they are calling it. Anyway, does it really matter?

I don't quite understand what people think it should have to be a 3 instead of a 2S. Spec wise this upgrade seems very good, how noticeable and how much difference the retina screen actually makes is a different question. I had the 1st gen iPad so couldn't take pictures. Who knows, I might take a few if the camera is decent on this iPad (sounds OK)..

7. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it's the 3rd generation iPad, but Apple is apparently not calling it the iPad 3.

2S is logical, since it isn't a physical design change, just features. Nearly the same as what happened in the iPhone 4 to 4S transition. The number only changes when the actual design of the device changes, based on Apple's history.

However, it seems they are going towards a Mac based approach to naming this from now on... unless it is officially named the "2S" or "3" when it is released. Apple may just stick to calling them 3rd, 4th, 5th generation from now on so they are simply "iPads."

8. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

9. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

iPad (3rd Generation)

The name is officially iPad (3rd Generation) and will follow the conventions of the iMac, Touch and the rest of the line-up that don't have numbers after them. Folks, this is it. This is the major upgrade and the 'stable' iPad that will now get bumps in processor, memory, cameras without major fanfare.

10. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

It is called "the new ipad", next year's model will be called "the newer ipad".

12. MacProMovie macrumors newbie

It's called the "iPad" because of the iPad 8"

When Apple releases the smaller iPad later this year, they REALLY don't want to call it the iPad 3 with 8" screen. And when the smaller iPad is released, they'll stop selling the iPad 2.

Which means their product lineup will be:

iPad 8"
    iPad 9.7"

And eventually... iPad 13.3"