So What IS The Ultimate iPhone then?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPadPublisher, Jun 10, 2010.

1. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

While there are tons of excited people anxious to get their hands on the new iPhone 4 -- there are of course legions of people who think the new phone doesn't go far enough, didn't upgrade or innovate enough, etc.

So my question is (and I ask this out of entertainment and curiosity) what is the ULTIMATE iPhone? What are the specs in iPhone 5 that would have dead-set on getting one? What features, upgrades, innovations, or changes would be needed for iPhone 5 to be the one that killed them all?

Please note: I'm not making fun of anyone or imposing an opinion of my own. With so many people not overly impressed with the new phone's specs, I really do what to hear what everyone thinks would make for a mind-blowing new phone. Thanks!!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The ultimate iPhone was the first iPhone the 2g.

The reason I say this is because the 2g changed what people thought about a phone. It brought the use of the Internet on the go a reality.

Some will say I'm wrong but I really don't think so. With each revision the iPhone gets better but that's evolution.

3. Shoot macrumors regular

The iPhone 4 with these changes (in an ideal world, I realise the technical limitations)

1. better battery life (i wish!)
    2. some future cellular technology for faster internet speeds (4g?)
    3. wireless syncing (easy software fix)
    4. improvements to the already fantastic camera. maybe high framerate video recording for slow-mo gimmicky stuff. Dunno. not much can be improved yet.

4. TobiasKM macrumors newbie

There's no such thing, and it's meaningless to discuss. There's always going to be people who complain.

5. elephantinc macrumors member

It would need to be cheaper for a start. And allow non app store apps (so basically come out of the box partially jail broken)
    As a prospective developer I'd want a better processor and more RAM (yet still keeping the battery consumption low) so I wouldn't really have to worry about the performance of my app.
    So basically I want magic. Top spec components that don't use any power and are free to produce. :p

I was actually pretty happy with the update (what more could one expect?) (no ram increase though, but you can't get everything).

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

My ideal iPhone 5 would have these new features:
    Eye tracking for scrolling(we talked about this for the iPad)
    64gb
    iPhone 3gS like speed improvements
    Autofocus and 3g use for facetime
    FM radio.
    RFID integration

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

To be honest I think Apple have done too much with this phone. I know a lot of people will be happy with the update, but if I could just get my 3GS with an A4, retina display, and better battery I'd be a happy man. I rarely use the camera and I've never seen the need for a noise cancelling mic. Reception is fine, I don't know why I'd need the gyro, and I like the 3GS body more than the iPhone 4, although the thinner body is appealing. As for facetime... I doubt I'd ever use it. I never use video chat on skype, why would I do it on a phone?

8. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I think it's subjective as to what the "Ultimate" phone is. You have geeks who want everything in the phone and then you have the mainstream user who just likes it the way it is.

I wouldn't mind seeing a automatic update of apps and maybe OTA downloading of new SW updates. And maybe intergrating SIRI so that you could have Voice commands to open Apps and things like that.

9. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i probably will never use face time but any improvement is fine with me

10. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

A notification system like Android or WebOS, and some sort of lockscreen notification would be enough for me.

11. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

MacRumours users will not be happy with or even consider buying an iPhone until:

- 1.5GHz processor, 1.2GHz dual-core
    - 1GB+ of RAM
    - 1 Gigapixel Camera
    - Blu Ray drive
    - 16:9 screen ratio
    - HDMI out
    - Built in 5.1 sound

...you see where I'm going with this? ;)

12. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

There ARE 3GS like speed improvements. The A4 is twice as fast as the processor in the 3GS. There have been benchmarks to prove it.

The people who say the iPhone 4 isn't revolutionary are the ones who can't upgrade.

13. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I was under the impression that we still didn't know the clock speed of the A4 in the iPhone? Yes, the iPad's is 1GHz, but there is a strong possibility that Apple used that chip in the iPhone but underclocked it to produce better battery life.

Although I'm sure there will be a speed increase over the 3GS, the likeliness that it's TWICE AS FAST with the same amount of RAM and a slightly faster processor is slim.

14. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

I'd also like to be able to change it from black to white and back again with the push of a button. Oh, and I'll need a teleportation function included as well.

15. phrint macrumors 6502

The ultimate iPhone is always the next unreleased model because people bitch about what the newest model is lacking and how much they hate Apple for screwing them over personally. Therefore the mythical unreleased model is always going to be the ultimate iPhone. So maybe iPhone 10 or 14 will be the best.

16. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I am upgrading. But there are many hands-on reviews that say that the new iPhone is only barely faster than the 3GS.

17. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Some features I'd like to see in iPhone 5:

1. 4G (LTE) data network support
    2. more than just one service provider (which LTE could facilitate)
    3. larger screen (4.5")
    4. removable battery
    5. mini HDMI output port to play the 720p movies in 720p
    6. expandable memory using miniSD or memory stick slot

18. iPadPublisher thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you both forgot the toaster option, and having it do your laundry. Duh!

:)

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I second this post. These are the ONLY features that I was hoping for with this iteration and I got neither. :(

20. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I think some features I would like to see, I think many are software updates:
    - extremely long lasting battery -> or removable one
    With all the backgrounding and video recording the iPhone 4 I know its battery will not last much for my typical use
    - bigger storage size: 64GB or moooooreeeeeeee!
    - open file management so you can move your files as you please without paying for an app or need to jailbrake
    - bump up the cameras: frame rates, avoid hand tremors
    - quick way to toggle settings: wi-fi, bluetooth, location services, etc.
    - being able to configure buttoms for whatever we want -iOS or App related
    - longer USB cable
    - dock back in the box
    - better earphones: noise cancelling like some premium brands

21. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I'm just surprised with the lack of a memory bump. Other than that, this has been the most substantial update to the iPhone lineup since the introduction of the iPhone 2G.

22. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Honestly my biggest change would be the notification system. I don't think the iPhone's is god awful, but I wish I could make SMS notifications not be forced to pop up. For example my IM client I have set to just give the badge notifcation and not the alert. It's annoying as hell when I'm doing things and the SMS notifcation pops up and I don't need it. That's more of a software update so hopefully they take care of it at some point.

23. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Also surprised with no more ram. My guess is the the gen 5 phone will add memory, and unleash the processor speed somewhat.

For me, this is a good one to upgrade to. Primary use for this is as a phone and on the go quick Internet hit when I need it. I use my iPad for everything else. I'm also hoping the new antenna setup will help in low signal areas, though I have had really good service with AT&T.

24. iPadPublisher thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm eager to see if the antenna system is better too.

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

While I doubt these reviews a bit, I'd still be fine with it. The 3GS is a spectacularly fast phone that is as smooth as butter in nearly all uses. I have a Google Nexus One (non froyo) that I wish was as smooth and fast as my old 3GS.