So what is up with Youtube and the HTML5 Trial Thing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DavidLeigh, Nov 3, 2012.

1. DavidLeigh macrumors member

Aug 10, 2012
    I'm currently having something problems with Youtube on Safari. Actually i don't use another browser, so i don't know if this is a Safari issue. Most Youtube videos basically don't play and i get a black screen. Doing some search here, it seems it's to do with the HTML5 trial which i am currently in. So what is this? Why wasn't I told at all about it? I don't believe i touched any settings n Youtube.
  2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Sep 16, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Did this start to happen after the latest Safari update a couple days ago?
  3. DavidLeigh thread starter macrumors member

Aug 10, 2012
    Actually no. It started yesterday (2nd Nov) and i can't say i noticed much before, though i probably wasn't using youtube much. And it definitely to do with Safari update 6.0.2 as i've only just installed that thinking it will fix the problem. However, i don't know if my mac installed anything automatically a few days ago.
  4. Reimer macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2006
    HTML5 trial on youtube is essentially an alternative to using flash for playing back videos. It's an opt-in feature though so I don't know why your safari defaulted to using it.

Not sure why you're experiencing a black screen but sometimes rendering issues like this in browsers can be solved by simply clearing the cache. Maybe you have adblock installed?
  5. chibisukee macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2012
    I am in the html5 trial and most of my videos play.
    I am using Safari 6.0.2 with flash player enabled - some videos play via html5 and some via flash player.

You can opt out here and see if it makes it better though.
  6. wabbit42 macrumors regular

Jun 25, 2012
    I was having trouble with a few videos so I opted out and now all those videos ae working again, so just opt out :).