So What of the iPod Classic?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by azimuth956, Jun 9, 2008.

1. azimuth956 macrumors newbie

My iPod got stolen 3 months ago and I've been faithfully waiting for today to buy the new version.....which then wasn't released. :mad:

Is there any point hanging on any longer, or should I just go buy a 160GB and be done with it?

2. DJAznSensation macrumors member

DJAznSensation

i say go for it

summer tends to bring a lot of long trips, beach outings, and just a lot of lazy days where sitting/relaxing listening to music is the perfect thing to do

3. droalex macrumors member

Buy one if you don't need fancy stuff like on the Ipod touch.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

There's no point in waiting for a new iPod, Apple won't release updates for something like an iPod at a developer conference.

5. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

There's your problem right there. What made you think Apple would use WWDC to release an iPod classic? What kind of smoke have you been cracking?

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The soonest the iPods will be updated is September/October, after the back-to-school promotion is over.

7. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Not totally true. The Nano and Touch won't be changed. That's what's involved in the promo. The others I think are still fair game...............

8. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

I for one, am holding out with my trusty 5.5gen iPod until September/October rolls around when hopefully some new revisions take place with the current line of iPods.

Also, for the poster above^^^^. I don't see why you think that the current Nano and Touch iPods are not fair game for some sort of upgrade/revision. Last year for the back to school promotion, they were still shipping out the old iPod nanos even when the new nano's came out.
    We shall see...

9. azimuth956 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why did I wait? Because the rumours, such as they were, pointed to WWDC for a revision.

Did I think it would be the major announcement? No. Did I think they might have been revised and announced anyways, as has happened before? Yeah, possibly.

I'm gonna get an iPhone 3G anyway, so I don't need anything fancy, but if there's bigger than 160GB coming, I'd want that. I'm over 80 as it is....

10. mlmorg macrumors member

I wouldn't have thought the classic would be changed that much if it was to be updated. The 160GB drive in the classic is the largest out right now and it doesn't look like there will be any newer ones out anytime soon. Maybe they'd update the lower-end to 100GB but that's all I see happening. The classic was recently redesigned and the software was substantially changed -- I don't see either of those happening again for a while. The 5/5.5G were the same for something like 2 years with only a minor capacity update.

11. azimuth956 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bought a 160 today....not sure if I'm happy or not.

Freaking glad to have an iPod again though....

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

LOL :p

What's not to be happy; what else would you have needed?

13. Eric. macrumors regular

A 320GB iPod Classic with a four platter hard drive that is half as thick as the current 160GB, multitouch scroll wheel....ummm...Alright I give up on trying to make up something and not turn it into a Touch. :D

14. azimuth956 thread starter macrumors newbie

Buying a product I know is going to be superseded, having waited 3 months for the new one, and just giving up.....is somewhat vexing....:mad:

15. mlmorg macrumors member

Did you read my post?

It can't be superseded if there isn't a larger hard drive available. The largest hard drive in that form factor is 160GB. The next one probably won't be for a while...and then you'll have to wait even longer for apple to include it in a new update. On top of that, they just entirely changed the ipod about 8 months ago, the only update you WOULD see is a larger capacity...which, as I stated before, can't happen yet.

16. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I attempt to take a step back, look at the product and decide: this is a fair price for a good product, and I'm happy with the purchase, even if a new ipod (or, say, g5 powerbook :D) comes out the next day. Enjoy the ipod and remind yourself that you're listening to music while everyone who's waiting is ...just waiting.