So what REALLY going to benefit from the A5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by No1up, Mar 7, 2011.

1. No1up macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2009
    Just a small speed bump...

I can see if you game a lot this would be great, but if I don't do much gaming, what good is the new A5 to me?

I sold my 32g wifi iPad for $525 I am ready to upgrade, but thinking about it now, and I can't think of a thing that I would see a real benefit, that's really shows you how well the iPad 1 is put together lol... Really though, what are some of your thoughts on this? Or should I just pick up a 64GB for $450?
  2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2005
    Given that the system always has multiple processes running, pretty much everything is going to benefit from having two cores. The faster graphics unit should also make a big difference to most things, whether its 3D graphics in a game or just a regular app that has some fancy Core Animation.
  3. Nishi100, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Mar 27, 2010
    Everything is faster, and things like web page rendering will be faster, so will opening apps, switching apps, animations will be faster.

Basically, everything will be faster.

But, I think you have to conciser if you need cameras, as the iPad 1 is plenty fast.

The A5 on its own is enough to make me upgrade, but the two cameras are.

I would re-buy the iPad 1 and wait for the iPad 3, as that will be even faster and have better cameras.
  4. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Mar 21, 2009
    I agree. From an earlier speed test comparison thread, it looks like it's just a 35% speed bump in normal, day-to-day use (web browsing, book reading, videos/music, running typical apps). Also not into cameras, taking pictures on this device, or gaming. I decided to keep iPad1 and wait for iPad3, for what I think will be more significant improvements.
  5. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

Sep 11, 2002
    My ARMH stock is, hopefully, going to benefit. :p
  6. darngooddesign, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Would you rather use a MacBook from 2006 with 1GB of RAM or a MacBook from 2010 with 2GB of RAM?
  7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Jun 14, 2010
    Same here. To put a 35% speed increase into context, consider how much time you spend waiting on your ipad in current usage. Answer will vary person by person -- for me, it's rare I'm waiting on my ipad, so a speed increase while nice just doesn't seem to be enough (by itself) to justify an upgrade. Nor do the other improvements, given what I use my ipad for.

Should my needs change and/or new apps or iOS versions change that, I'll reevaluate. For now, sticking with my ipad1 and enjoying the show. :)
  8. Pressure macrumors 68040

May 30, 2006
    The speed increase alone is going to be enough of a reason for me to upgrade.

Just like the change from the iPhone 3G to 3GS and 4. Really changed the user experience.
  9. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Dec 18, 2009
    More importantly, that's 35% WITHOUT using dual core. ;)
  10. No1up thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2009
    Hehe I'm still gonna get the iPad2 I have to! I really just wante to know what some of you thought.. 64gb iPad 1 $400-450 or 16gb ipad2 $550+case.. ??